    would be very helpful.

    Thanks,
    BGC

    BGC, Sep 17, 2005

  2. BGC

    0_Qed Guest

    ....snip...

    Hello,

    You'd be better advised to leave the "present" intact ...
    give it to the 'rents, as-is ...
    start anew with the new one.

    Qed.

    0_Qed, Sep 17, 2005

  3. BGC

    BGC Guest

    I'd rather do a clean install. I was going to replace the boot drive with a
    newer, larger one. I built this system at least 4 years ago so all the
    driver specifics are long forgotten.

    BGC

    BGC, Sep 17, 2005
  4. BGC

    0_Qed Guest

    In that case, 'look' to the long run.

    Find/install the larger HD as HD1 ...
    boot so that the ESCD & Reg are 'aware'of the new HD,
    locate Kahn's 'XXCLONE' ... RTFM & use it to clone HD0 to HD1 ...
    =verify= by booting the clone on HD1 .
    Make good notes, as you go ... failures & successes.

    Leave old HD0 as 'HD0', new HD1 as HD1 ,
    leave all 'cards' as-is, in place,
    'doc' the current CMOS settings, even if in pencil, commit to a doc file
    ,
    clean up the HD0 ,
    give 'intact' to 'rents.
    You'll be glad you "did", on some, next 'rental phone call.

    'This' mite seem the long way 'round ,
    but ...
    consider that you now have a fairly stable system,
    consider that the addition of HD1 is a least disruptive task ,
    consider that you'll have a decent recovery plan , and 24_7 'LD' at that
    ,

    On your 'next' new build ...
    .. look into a Bios Savour
    .. consider a 2nd 'HD1' for cloning
    .. take/make perfect "notes" on hdwr build & sftwr loads
    .. DL all previous_&_ensuing official BIOS versions

    Be aware that a 'fresh' OS install is best done with an "empty" ESCD ,
    which also happens when you flash a new BIOS 'bin' file to the eeprom
    chip.
    The ESCD is a big_old parameter "table" , superceding the CMOS parm tbl
    mostly.
    It lies behind the BIOS bin file in the eeprom chip ,
    built/some-times-rebuilt at boot , can get munged.
    The ESCD 'parms' aughta_must sync with the OS 'Reg' .

    Qed.

    0_Qed, Sep 17, 2005
  5. BGC

    Tom Goodman Guest

    from the VIA site download the 4 in 1 driver exe and use it when the XP
    install is done. It provides updated drivers for the board. Also update
    to the 09 mainboard drivers from the Abit site, check for the latest
    version for your board.

    Tom Goodman, Sep 17, 2005
  6. BGC

    Conor Guest

    THe driver and patch are for Windows 98.

    Installation order...

    Windows.
    DirectX
    Motherboard Drivers
    Graphics
    Sound
    LAN (Make sure you also enable the firewall before plugging into a
    router)

    WINDOWS UPDATE.

    Conor, Sep 18, 2005