    i have double checked with multiple power supplies and the problem
    contiunes. I have also tried moving the modem to a different PCI slot
    without any change. Any ideas?

    Erick Ondich, Aug 16, 2003

  2. Erick Ondich

    Homie Guest

    Have a look at my web site and see if your caps are showing any of the signs,
    otherwise, if there is an analog audio cable between the cdrom and sound card, remove
    it , you don't need it and it can induce noise into the system.
    Also, try a ground buster (the little thing that you stick on a 3 pin AC plug to make
    it 2 pins) , I am not recommending that you run it regular without a ground, it's just
    for diagnostics to see if the noise is a "ground loop" type induction.
    If a ground buster eases the problem, call the phone company and have them test your
    line.

    Gary

    --
    Mainboards, Videocards & CPU pin repair.

    http://motherboardrepair.com

    I recently updated my wifes computer from a Asus P2B P2 400mhz to a
    KT7A Athlon 1ghz. After the upgrade the computer seems to be
    introducing noise into the phone line so any other computer i plug
    into the line connects at very slow speed or does not connect at all.
    When it does connect, the connection is useless and can rarely connect
    to any server reliably. This happens if the KT7A is on or off, but if
    i unplug the main power, I can connect just fine. I'm thinking the
    modem is toast, but i have never heard of this happening before. The
    power supply has been replaced for the new Athlon with a 300 watt and

    Homie, Aug 16, 2003

  3. Erick Ondich

    - HAL9000 Guest

    A defective (blown) modem is a good guess. Also some sort of external
    modem phone line surge protection device being blown is likely as
    well.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.attbi.com/~hal-9000/