KT7A-R-Forgotten Battles: Anyone running this?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Joe, Jan 22, 2004.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    If you have forgotten batles and have ever been to the FB forums at
    http://www.il2sturmovik.com/ you may have seen some of my MANY posts over
    several months trying to get FB to run on my machine. I have never been able
    to get to run much more than an hour (usually only 15 minutes or so) without
    it crashing. Always with a "jvm.dll" error.
    I have been through two video cards (Both Nvidia and ATI), a change of ram
    (now have 512 Mushkin Rev2), Lord knows how many reformats and installs of
    both 98SE and XP Pro. Just about every driver I could find for every device
    on the board that takes a driver and BIOS tweeks from defaults to max.
    Through all of this the behavior of the game changed not at all. Sooner or
    later CRASH (jvm.dll error).

    I came to the conclusion that FB just dosent like my motherboard so I put
    the game on the shelf until I upgraded. Trouble is, it dosent look like I
    will be upgrading for a while. The Nforce2 (32bit) boards look good but I
    dont want to take that route until I get a look at the coming NForce3
    (64bit) boards. So I wait but that means the best WWII flight sim yet
    produced continues to sit on the shelf. AAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

    Here is my system: No overclocks anywhere

    KT7A-R v1.1 Bios A9 (with Paul's HP234 hack)
    Athlon Pal 2100+
    ATI Raedon 9500 Pro
    512 meg (256x2) Mushkin Rev2
    Hercules Fortissimo II Soundcard

    2 Western Digital ATA100 40 gig HD (on the HP controlers but no raid setup)

    Anyone out there with a similar rig that us running Forgotten Battles
    successfully? If so, PLEASE tell me what drivers, etc you are using, wether
    or not you have ever been plauged with the JVM.DLL troubles and what you did
    to cure it if you did.

    Any assistance VASTLY appreciated.

    Joe, Jan 22, 2004

  2. My System runs only as a rock @ 130 MHz FSB. With a higher FSB I get
    Memoryerrors.
    Test playing with 100MHz FSB.
    Test your RAM/System with http://www.memtest.org/ or
    http://www.memtest86.com/.

    Sebastian Schlereth, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Joe

    NuT CrAcKeR Guest

    JVM = Java Virtual Machine... have you refreshed you java bits from SUN ?,
    or, perhpas your Java environment is too new. Try going back a rev, and see
    if that fixes things.

    NuTs

    NuT CrAcKeR, Jan 26, 2004
  4. Joe

    Joe Guest

    My copy of XP Pro is one of the first OEMs with out either SP1 (Microsoft
    VM) or SP1a (Java VM). I have both the SP1 and SP1a updates and tried them
    both numerous times on fresh formats and installs.and with numerous
    combination of drivers and in-game java versions.

    No effect at all. Start the game and within 15 minutes the jvm.dll crash
    would show up. You could bet your house.

    Do you know of anyone running FB on a VIA KT133 machine?

    Joe, Jan 26, 2004
  5. Joe

    NuT CrAcKeR Guest

    are you running the latest via hyperion drivers ? are you overclocking ? i
    highly doubt it has anything to do with your hardware.

    Also, I am not talking about the MS VM (SP1, 1a, or whatever), I am talking
    about suns java, which are not the same thing. That is why i made the
    designation in my post.

    NuTs

    NuT CrAcKeR, Jan 26, 2004
  6. Joe

    Joe Guest

    My efforts to run FB were over a period of about 8 months and involved MANY
    reformats, reinstalls and driver changes. Along with following of MANY
    recomendations received in reply to some 80 posts and requests I put on the
    UBI IL2 forums. Numerous driver tried. From the latest Hyperions to the old
    "4 in 1s"

    As regards SP1 and SP1a the ONLY difference between the two is that SP1
    contains MSVM while, in SP1a Microsoft removed all traces of MSVM and
    substituted Sun Java. This in response to a court decision where Microsoft
    was ordered to cease the distrubution of MSVM and to start distrubuting Sun
    Java. Were it not for that court order SP1 would still be current and SP1a
    would not exist. That is why I made reference to them in my reply.

    My Win XP Pro cd is one of the first released and was issued before either
    SP1 or SP1a existed and so is a "virgin" untouched by either.. On separate
    CDs I have both the SP1 and SP1a updates and so can choose between MSVM and
    Sun Java. A choice denied to those who have later XP cds with one or the
    other update already incorporated.

    Over the 8 month struggle I have tried to run FB on a "pure" XP Pro with no
    updates, XP Pro with SP1, and XP Pro with SP1a in addition to several
    attempts with Win 98SE. No operating system change nor any combination of
    drivers I tried over that 8 months had the slightest effect on the behavior
    of the program..

    I too doubted a hardware cause but in that 8 months the ONLY thing that was
    not changed is the motherboard. NONE of the changes I did make had the least
    effect on the crash. Every operating system tried, every configuration and
    every driver combination had IDENTICAL results. Boot FB and within 15
    minutes, POW, a jvm.dll crash.

    This, plus the fact that, in 8 months of asking, I have yet to run into
    someone who is successfully running FB on a VIA KT133 board does not leave a
    lot of room for alternative theories.

    Joe, Jan 26, 2004