KT7A-RAID and 1.333 Tbird

Discussion in 'Abit' started by NuT CrAcKeR, May 4, 2004.

  1. NuT CrAcKeR

    NuT CrAcKeR Guest

    Hey groups,

    I gave a board to a friend that was running with an XP2100. It worked fine
    for me, but he re-installed XP and has had problems with it.

    I know the guy is a good tech and system builder (I have known him for
    years), and while the machine was good for me when I ran it , he uses it
    differently than i did.

    Here is the deal. we tried all the newest drivers and crap for this thing
    and its components, it still reboots randomly. sometimes its days, or
    hours, somethimes it minutes.

    So, i picked up a cheap 1333 chip and he put it in. he clearded the bios,
    and setup his boot order in the bios and what not, set the speed top 1333
    (133/33) in the bios...

    Now, he cant boot into XP. He gets right up to the point where XP is going
    to show him the login screen, and the machine reboots.

    We have been through the bios, and checked everything. It all looks good.

    The voltage looks correct (1.7v, 3.4v), no funky memory timings... its quite
    vanilla.

    Does anyone have any idea what would be preventing XP to boot?

    Safemode wont boot
    LastKnowGood wont boot
    VGA mode wont boot.

    I think something was reset when we ceared the bios so it would detect the
    new chip, but it was a while ago that I worked on that board, so I dont
    remember exactly what the settings need to be.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    NuTs

    NuT CrAcKeR, May 4, 2004

  2. NuT CrAcKeR

    Amir Facade Guest

    Hmmmm....
    Have you taken a look at the caps on the board.
    Some may be bulging as in the picture or even leaking onto your motherboard.
    http://www.seanadams.com/deadairport/big_blown_caps.jpeg
    Homie has more pictures, but it seems his site is down.
    This board is one of those known for this problem.
    It may be hardware and not software.

    Amir

    Amir Facade, May 5, 2004

  3. NuT CrAcKeR

    NuT CrAcKeR Guest

    nice picture, but I dont think that is the case here. The thing worked
    today, and he swapped out the proc and now it wont boot. He cleared the BIOS
    on my direction.

    He went from an unsupported processor to a supported processor (known to
    work), and now he cant boot his OS.

    Any other leads?

    NuTs

    NuT CrAcKeR, May 5, 2004
  4. NuT CrAcKeR

    0_Qed Guest

    A 'possible' ...

    Re_flash with same bios 'rev' ...
    this time,
    =add= the [clear ESCD] flag ... re_boot anew .

    Assumed that the [clear CMOS] flag was used prev.

    Qed

    0_Qed, May 5, 2004
  5. NuT CrAcKeR

    Enkidu Guest

    Some components of WinXP are tied to the processor. Try reinstalling
    or triggering the hardware detection. A Google search should provide
    some detailed directions.

    Enkidu

    Enkidu, May 5, 2004
  6. NuT CrAcKeR

    Homie Guest

    Hello,
    My site is up and you are correct, bad caps will allow some CPU's to run and others
    won't.

    Homie

    --
    Mainboards, Videocards & CPU pin repair.

    http://motherboardrepair.com

    Homie, May 5, 2004
  7. NuT CrAcKeR

    Amir Facade Guest