  1. Mark Ryan

    Mark Ryan Guest

    Will this work ?

    Mark Ryan, Oct 7, 2003

  2. Mark Ryan

    Wes Newell Guest

    Yes.

    Wes Newell, Oct 8, 2003

  3. Mark Ryan

    Mark Ryan Guest

    Wes,

    Without modification, what is the best speed I could expect?

    Am I correct in 12.5 x 133mhz ? (Thus 1.662Ghz)

    TIA

    Mark

    Mark Ryan, Oct 8, 2003
  4. Mark Ryan

    Wes Newell Guest

    With the 333 model that sounds right. With the 266 model, you would get
    access to the upper multipliers. If you don't want to mod anything, a
    2400+ would be a better choice IMO. If you don't mind cutting a couple of
    bridges, a 2500+ Barton would be best. Any cpu with a default multiplier
    of 13 or higher will give you access to the upper multipliers without
    modding it. Cheapest Tbred would be a 2100+ B core, and cheapest Barton
    would be the 3000+ (which I consider too high to be an option). The one
    below is a 2100+ B core. You could also get a 1700+ B core for under $50
    and mod it to get the same. But with the 2400+, you can be sure that it's
    a Tbred B core and it will work without mods.

    Wes Newell, Oct 8, 2003
  5. Mark Ryan

    1/2 Fast Guest

    Mark

    I'm running a KT7A (v1.1) w/ 2400+ (B core) and this adapter
    http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/xptmc/xptmc.htm.... Plug & Play
    at 15 x 133. No bullshit - no hassles.

    My only regret was not going with th2 2500 barton core to get the 512K
    cache.

    To me, the $30 at Stratton Computer Services (USA) was well worth it.

    Good Luck
    1/2

    1/2 Fast, Oct 8, 2003
  6. Mark Ryan

    Wes Newell Guest

    And what do you have to do if you want to change the multiplier? Don't you
    have to pull the HSF, CPU, and Adapter off? It's also my understanding
    that some HSF's won't work with this.

    I know it does what it says, but it's not needed. A simple piece of wire
    in the socket would have given you access to 15-16.5 x 133 in the bios.

    Wes Newell, Oct 8, 2003
  7. Mark Ryan

    1/2 Fast Guest

    No offence but... the information on your site may be suitable for a
    seasoned OC'er but, for the newby's looking to put some life into their
    KT7's it's not much help.
    ( from reading your posts over the past several weeks, I could see you
    getting impatient with what seemed like the same questions. The same
    questions because I'm not the only one confused)

    I'd like to make one point crystal clear here. I am NOT trying to flame you.
    I respect anyone willing to spend their free time to help others.

    If you want to play with clocking, yes you do have to pull the HSF, adapter
    & CPU... this could be a pain.
    The kit comes w/ extensions for attaching the HS, worked slick on my Zalman
    ..

    Again, no offence intended.

    1/2

    BTW... I don't see any reference to "A simple piece of wire" on any of your
    pages :)

    1/2 Fast, Oct 8, 2003
  8. Mark Ryan

    Mark Ryan Guest

    Thank you for the assistance.

    Mark Ryan, Oct 9, 2003
  9. Mark Ryan

    Mark Ryan, Oct 9, 2003
  10. Mark Ryan

    Wes Newell Guest

    Yep, I'm not one for patience. But I'm a lot better than I used to be.:)
    No problem.
    And that's why I didn't like it. Now if they'd have routed the switches to
    the outside of the socket, then I would recommend it. As it is though, as
    long as one knows what they're doing, it's better using a single wire pin
    mod. With the pin mod, yo can still use the bios to cjange the multipliers
    with the 133MHz FSB.
    That's good to know.
    --------------------------
    Just ground one of the multiplier bits from the socket (3rd =2x, 4th=4x or
    5th=8x). This way I was able to boot with fsb 133 and up.

    3rd pulled LO atleast multipliers 15-16.5 works with fsb 133
    --------------------------
    This means to ground the pin with a piece of wire in the socket. I leave
    it to the individual to determine how they want to do it as it can be done
    in several different ways. One is the pin mod, putting a piece of U shaped
    wire in 2 socket holes then installing the cpu on top. This works well.
    Another would be to actually loop the 2 pins on the cpu with a wire loop.
    I don't like this method, more chances to short something. A third would
    be to put a drop of conductive paint between the 2 pins. This is real easy
    too, but harder to remove the paint than the wire from the socket holes
    maybe. Ort you could solder wires to the back of the socket and add your
    own switches for 1 or more bits. In any case, you can still change the
    multiplier in the bios after this.

    Wes Newell, Oct 9, 2003