KT7A-Raid cannot get drive to work

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Brian Fielding, Jul 14, 2004.

  1. Motherboard: ABiT KT7A-RAID version 1.3
    RAM: 512 Mbytes
    Processor: Athlon AMD 1.13
    Drives: 2 IBM 60 Gbyte (60GXP 7200 ATA100) mirrored, using IDE3 and IDE4

    CD Writer IDE2 Master Yamaha CRW-F1E, connects as ultra DMA mode 2
    CD Rom IDE2 Slave Mitsimi CD-ROM FX4830T, connects as ultra DMA mode 2

    Bios 9R
    HPT370A 2.32

    OS Windows Server 2003

    BIOS settings all set to AUTO.
    Drivers are as installed by Windows Server 2003.
    Device manager: Advanced option not ticked.

    IBM Drives running Ok, no issues, have been for 2+ years.

    Just added a Samsung 160GB (Spinpoint 7200 rpm ATA133) drive to IDE1 as
    master using akasa ATA-133 round cable.

    Drive initially connects as expected as DMA mode 5, drive is correctly named
    as SAMSUNG SP1604N.
    The drive can be partitioned and formatted and data written/read.

    But later anything from 10 mins to 1 hour
    Volumes appear to go (names revert to local disc), and cannot be accessed
    giving message: the drive is not formatted
    the hard drive name has been changed to RALSTNF RP0604N and the transfer
    mode has changed to "multi-word DMA mode 2".

    Can you help please.

    Thanks
    Brian

    Brian Fielding, Jul 14, 2004

  2. Brian Fielding

    patrickp Guest

    I've had similar issues on a KT7a (non raid) mobo with WD drives,
    Brian, and finally realised that what seemed to be causing the problem
    was the round ATA cable - I tried several, too, with no luck.

    So I went back to using conventional ribbon cables - no more problems
    and I've not used round cables since. YMMV.

    patrickp

    - take five to email me

    patrickp, Jul 15, 2004

  3. To be honest I was very sceptical about problems with round cables.
    However, you appear to be correct.

    I changed the cable to a flat IDE DMA66 cable and so far so good (after 12
    or so hours of use).

    Any ideas why round cables cause problems ?

    Thanks
    Brian

    Brian Fielding, Jul 16, 2004
  4. Brian Fielding

    GlassVial Guest

    To be honest I was very sceptical about problems with round cables.
    Very strange, I use rounded cables (from svc) on several different
    size drives without problems on this board. Both hanging off the raid
    controller itself and the onboard ide.

    Perhaps svc sells a bit higher grade of rounded cable? Or perhaps I'm
    just lucky.

    -GV

    GlassVial, Jul 16, 2004
  5. Brian Fielding

    Enkidu Guest

    The longer cables are notoriously troublesome, but many use the
    shorter round cables without problems.

    Enkidu

    Enkidu, Jul 16, 2004
  6. Brian Fielding

    DDDD Guest

    I use the round cables but really don't trust them completely. On the next
    system I build, I don't believe that I will use them. Hopefully, SATA will
    take over everything by then and there will be no need for those bulky
    antiques.

    DDDD

    DDDD, Jul 16, 2004
  7. Brian Fielding

    patrickp Guest

    I can only think that rounding a cable brings wires into close
    proximity that wouldn't be on a flat cable, and perhaps this produces
    some unwanted induction effect. I also think that this is going to be
    more noticeable on boards where there may be problems anyway (the KT7a
    I noticed problems on subsequently turned out to have a dodgy BIOS
    chip).

    However, having found out that rounded cables are more likely to cause
    problems than flat ones, I'm unwilling to use them even on boards
    where there don't appear to be noticeable problems. You never know
    when there might be a need for that extra bit of reliability.

    The drawback for me is that the choice of length and quality of flat
    cables now seems to be getting a bit limited in the UK. A lot of
    suppliers just don't carry them any more, and for the ones that do,
    they often just seem to be a cheap option.

    patrickp

    - take five to email me

    patrickp, Jul 16, 2004
  8. Brian Fielding

    GlassVial Guest

    The longer cables are notoriously troublesome, but many use the
    The ones I got from SVC are the 18" and less ones. I got some 10"
    ones for a Micro-ATX board I setup, also from svc, also no problems.

    -GV

    GlassVial, Jul 17, 2004
  9. The Akasa cable is 18" (with 11" from Board to Slave)

    Brian

    Brian Fielding, Jul 17, 2004