    Reportedly the ones adjacent to the AGP slot are often the first to
    go. Do you have a known good power supply to try?

    Enkidu

    Enkidu, Jul 22, 2003

  2. Enkidu

    db Guest

    I hoping someone has had some experience with this.

    Yesterday, system is running fine - I've never had any problems with it.
    Today I noticed the screen saver isn't kicking in - this is my one and only
    symptom of the problem (unfortunately). After noticing the monitor on still
    a few hours later, I conduct a proper shutdown to let things reset (just in
    case).

    I go to power it up a couple of hours later and it simply goes ON....OFF
    within a couple of seconds or less.

    Now just to inform, and by no means to brag, I'll let you know I'm A+
    certified and also teach courses for Hardware repair and A+ certification,
    so I've done most of the "logical" troubleshooting steps already.

    Things I've tried (with obviously no success):
    1) disconnected all drives
    2) removed/reseated RAM (only one stick so I couldn't put in different
    slots, etc.)
    3) moved fans to other fan options (cpu to fan1/fan2, fan3, etc.) - (per
    Pauls Unofficial KT7A-raid FAQ here:
    http://www.sudhian.com/showfaqs.cfm?fid=2 )
    4) ran system by itself on it's power strip (y'never know)

    I haven't yet tried cursing and screaming at the system, and I'm not sure
    why considering my part-time video production income depends on this
    running!

    Also, I'm not positive but I think some storms came through our area last
    night. I'm kinda wondering if this might be surge-related? My guess is not
    since everything else seems good and the system was running this morning.
    But I don't know.

    ANY HELP?!?!?!?!?

    db, Jul 22, 2003

  3. Enkidu

    Rick Hallman Guest

    Is the computer completely silent? Any error beeps? Do the fans begin to
    spin or any other component show that power was applied briefly? If all of
    the above are no then I would try to use a different power supply to see if
    you have a PS issue. If a different PS doesn't help then I'm afraid you
    have a component failure on the motherboard.

    Good Luck

    I have a KTA-Raid also.

    Rick Hallman, Jul 22, 2003
  4. Enkidu

    HamMan Guest

    Try another CPU fan on it, i think the deafult it to turn off if the fan
    isnt spinning

    HamMan, Jul 22, 2003
  5. Enkidu

    db Guest

    Well, the fan IS spinning, but I guess it might be UNDER-spinning, but it
    doesn't sound like it's having problems. But I'm thinking it is a
    safety-check like that, unless something on the board is shot!

    db, Jul 22, 2003
  6. Enkidu

    Sling Guest

    How about a CMOS clearing? Perhaps something got messed up with the CMOS
    durnig the storm and now the BIOS is trying to do something silly like
    booting your CPU at 5x100. My KT7A did the same thing when I was fiddling
    around trying to get the CPU to boot at different settings. Normally when
    it goes ON then OFF in a split second it normally is due to the CPU fan not
    being connected to the MB, but have you tried plugging in a different fan
    (assuming you have one) into CPU FAN1? You never know, the fan may be
    running but the motherboard doesnt know it is....

    Sling, Jul 22, 2003
  7. Enkidu

    Hammer Toe Guest

    I recently had those EXACT symptoms with one of my 3 KT7As. It turned
    out to be a POWER SUPPLY that had just about (but not totally) FAILED.

    I replaced it with a new (and pretty quiet) EnerMax 350w power supply
    and 'voila'. - it's been running SOLID for a couple of moths now.

    Hammer Toe, Jul 23, 2003
  8. Enkidu

    GTD Guest

    If you can, try swapping out the keyboard and mouse. I had a similar
    problem, only on a much older machine (it was a cyrix 150+ processor,
    quite some time ago), and it turned out to be something weird in
    either the keyboard or the mouse (I don't remember which, I bought a
    keyboard / mouse combo to fix the problem). This doesn't seem likely
    with newer systems, but it'd be an easy try (just unplug them both)

    Kinda goes with the screensaver that wouldn't come on.

    GTD, Jul 23, 2003
  9. Enkidu

    Rick Hallman Guest

    Since you do not hear any beeps then motherboard never saw a problem before
    the power supply shut down. If the motherboard shut down on a CPU Fan low
    RPM error then you would have heard a long beep before it powered down. I
    know this because I purchased a "quite" HSF for my KT7A-Raid and I received
    the low RPM beep before it would shutdown. (This setting is switchable in
    the BIOS but you have to plug in a faster fan with RPM sensing before you
    can get to the BIOS settings to turn it OFF.) I think the logical step for
    you to take is to borrow a known good ATX 350Watt Power Supply and plug it
    into the motherboard, floppy and HD. If your computer still shuts down in 2
    seconds then try clearing the CMOS with the AC cord disconnected. I have
    had some glitches in the past where I had to clear the CMOS and disconnect
    the AC to completely recover from a problem. You will need to enter setup
    as soon as the BIOS screen pops up and set your CPU speed, along with any
    other settings that you have optimized in the past.

    I hope this helps.

    Rick Hallman, Jul 23, 2003
  10. Enkidu

    Me Guest

    While this may be a caps problem I have never had the luxury of a bad caps
    board so I wouldn't know.

    What I have seen that resembles this is:-

    1: Sticking power switch. Would press it and it would always stick in the on
    position which would then switch the board back off again.

    2: Motherboard not reading the CPU fan rpm sensor correctly. The board would
    "think" that the fan had stopped and shut the board down. Fixed by using a
    different fan.

    Me, Jul 24, 2003