    1.3? My present bios ends in YH.
    Thanks,
    scott

    WilcoxSE, Apr 29, 2004

  2. WilcoxSE

    Wes Newell Guest

    First thing I'd do is flash to the latest bios, A9. YH is so old it isn't
    even listed on Abits website any longer. Don't worry about what Abit says
    they support. It's the board that does the work, not Abit support. There's
    hundreds if not thousands using XP's in the board by now. Here's some
    things that will cause problems.
    Weak PSU. Use a 300W minimum, 400W or higher preferred. A weak PSU will
    cause all kinds of random problems.
    Bad caps on board. Look for bulging badly or leaking. If you have bad
    ones, I'd just replace the board. Bios settings: There's tons of settings
    for the ram, buses and cpu. They need to be right for the system to work
    properly. Ran timings are sometimes critical with slower ram. When using
    an XP make sure that the ram bus is set to Hostclk Only, and not
    Hstclk+PCI. Start out with cas 3 unless you have fast ram. CPU drive
    strength works on auto for me, but others have said they had to use 2 or
    3. There's a lot more than this, but I think I covered the most critical
    ones. As l9ng as your board is in good working condition it should work
    just fine with the proper bios settings.

    Wes Newell, Apr 29, 2004

  3. WilcoxSE

    WilcoxSE Guest

    Thanks again Wes....I'll be updating that bios as soon as I get a floppy and
    hard drive in. I already noticed that the bios looked quite old. What would
    you set for optimum multiplier, etc settings for the XP 2400+ in this board?
    Scott

    WilcoxSE, Apr 29, 2004
  4. WilcoxSE

    WilcoxSE Guest

    I just updated the bios and all went well...phew. I have the cpu running at
    2.0 ghz. The only odd thing is that the bios id's the cpu as "unkown" cpu
    type, instead of amd as before with the old bios. Should I be concerned
    about that?
    scott

    WilcoxSE, Apr 30, 2004
  5. WilcoxSE

    Wes Newell Guest

    No need to be concerned. It's just cosmetic. Doesn't have any effect on
    operation.

    Wes Newell, Apr 30, 2004