    Asestar Guest

    What are the settings "IDE block transfer mode" and "IDE prefetch mode" and
    what effect they have on performance? Is it worth enabling them?

    Asestar, Feb 23, 2004

  2. Asestar

    Ed Guest

    Might find some answers here,
    http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=9

    Ed

    Ed, Feb 23, 2004

  3. Asestar

    Asestar Guest

    Thanks a lot for da link. It helped in many ways. I couldn't however find
    "IDE prefetch mode", guess have to search more.

    Asestar, Feb 24, 2004
  4. Asestar

    Damon Hill Guest

    Do a general web search with that phrase; it'll get lots of hits nearly
    all of which recommend 'enabled' for faster performance. I didn't see
    anything in the first dozen hits that actually explains it, however.
    Disabling it is probably only necessary with old hardware and for
    troubleshooting.

    A search engine is your friend; use it.

    Now if someone could explain why my Maxtor 60 gig drive keeps falling
    backwards from UDMA6 to UDMA 0 on my MSI KT6 Delta board...I did
    replace the cable and got a little more stability. No obvious
    drive errors but Maxtor's web site suggests Windows XP thinks there is
    a problem and keeping backing off the speed.

    --Damon Who cares what Intel thinks we're ready for?

    Damon Hill, Feb 24, 2004