    a problem. My place is 30 miles from town. Dell's support works as
    promised.
    --David

    David Ellis, Feb 2, 2005

  2. David Ellis

    Fred Mau Guest

    Just curious, was he a "real" Dell tech or a contractor ?

    Where I'm at - Portland Oregon and Atlanta Georgia - Whenever we call Dell,
    the person(s) that show up actually work for Unisys.

    The techs seem knowledgeable enough, but too often they seem to be in such
    a hurry that they forget the obvious like putting back all the screws,
    reseating the connectors, etc, when they're done. It's like they're in a big
    hurry to get to the next client, like they get paid at piece rates.

    Was curious if this is a national thing, or if we just coincidentally happen
    to be in two places where they hand it off to Unisys.

    (And there's a lesson in there somewhere: Once upon a time, Unisys - a/k/a
    Burroughs + Sperry-Rand - used to be a real player in the computer game, a
    name to be reckoned with, with some decent hardware that gave IBM a run for
    it's money in the Mainframe world. But through years of bad management and
    lack of vision, they've been reduced to doing scut work for companies like
    Dell.)

    - FM -

    Fred Mau, Feb 7, 2005

  3. David Ellis

    S.Lewis Guest

    Fred,

    They're all contracted techs - or have been for many years. Different
    contractors for different (U.S.) regions, I think.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 8, 2005
  4. David Ellis

    Notan Guest

    I'm not sure that Dell, or any other manufacturer, has "real" on-site
    tech support.

    Notan

    Notan, Feb 8, 2005
  5. David Ellis

    Fixer Guest

    Contractors are paid per call so therefore the more calls they do the more
    they earn, whilst the perminant staff get paid no matter how many calls they
    do however in saying that they are expected to have a call closure rate of
    at least 4 calls per day and between 5/6 for the more senior engineers.

    Staff engineers at Getronics and Unisys earn about £15000 to £19000 per
    annum, Banctec contractors are on about £30 per day plus £9 per call with no
    expenses for petrol. Though they do about 8-10 calls per day.
    Banctec concentrate mainly on home user rather then business. Getronics and
    Unisys deal mainly with business and Enterprise customers and also do all
    Server Calls.

    All Getronics and Unisys staff are Dell Certified Engineers.

    Dell do have their own engineers but they are for installs only and
    generally do not get involved with repairs.

    Fixer, Feb 9, 2005
  6. David Ellis

    Sparky Guest

    Fred Mau wrote:

    None of the Seven Dwarfs ever gave Big Blue a run for their money when
    it came to *selling* computers, which is where IBM excelled from the
    get-go. IBM seldom, if ever, had the best hardware (Burroughs was
    excellent so I have heard from people who worked with it, including VS
    10 or more years before IBM *discovered* it).

    Not so different today with Windows being a crap product, but on 98% of
    desktop PCs (or whatever the percentage is). Beta was better than VHS, too.

    Sparky, Feb 10, 2005
  7. David Ellis

    Steven Kraus Guest

    Getronics is internationally working for Dell. Also in Germany. They are all
    only contractors. In germany one call is for about 80Euros. My technician is
    as well often in a hurry. One time he figured the problem out, couldn't fix
    it, and went back home- telling me I should call next day again. To lie he
    had solved problem but would have appeared again. They seem to need a lot of
    calls..

    Steven Kraus, Feb 10, 2005
  8. David Ellis

    Fixer Guest

    In that case you shouldhave phoned Dell and complained, he as the engineer
    should have phoned Dell and Diagnosed the problem and ordered more parts, he
    told you to rebook the call as contractors dont get paid for a 2nd visit, so
    by telling you to log another call he gets paid twice

    Fixer, Feb 10, 2005
  9. David Ellis

    Steven Kraus Guest

    Yeah I realised to late. I told him to do so, but he said it would not make
    any sense since te problem was hardware based and not in the software.
    Afterwards I got an technician error- he had to come again without payment.
    thanx for the advice.

    Steven Kraus, Feb 10, 2005