    I'm aware there may be some memory issues, I've got 2x512Mb @ 400Mhz FSB in
    there. Could this be a cause of my problem?

    Any help much appreciated!

    Alex Hornett, Aug 24, 2005

  2. Alex Hornett

    Wes Newell Guest

    No. The problem you have is that you have the FSB set to 100MHz. It should
    be set to 166MHz for default speed, and if your board supports 200MHz or
    higher set it to the max and raise vcore as needed, to at least 1.65v to
    start. With a 200Mhz FSB you can get it up to an Athlon XP 2200+ speed of
    1800MHz. At default speed the Sempron 2200+ runs at about the same speed
    as an Athlon XP 1800+. IOW's, really slow. With a 9x multiplier, you'll
    never reach the potential speed the cpu is capable of, unless you can get
    the FSB up to 266MHz (533FSB in marketing BS terms)(2400MHz). I really
    don't know much about the KV7-V board but you maye be able to get 233MHz
    FSB out of if you're lucky, but I wouldn't count on anything over 200MHz
    which it officially supports.

    Wes Newell, Aug 24, 2005

  3. Alex Hornett

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Sounds like the bios is defaulting to 100 MHz. The Sempron 2200
    multiplier is 9x so the cpu would be running at around 900 MHz if the
    FSB is at 100 MHz.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/images/cpu_table_amd_big.gif
    You should be able to manually set the bios FSB to 166 MHz.

    Note that the memory clock is derived from the FSB clock. Hence an
    FSB of 100 MHz causes the memory clock to lower itself to 100 MHz.
    The bios memory page only allows you to lower the memory clock to
    something less than a 1:1 ratio between the cpu clock and the memory
    clock. eg., a 1:2 ratio would then cause a 50 MHz memory clock.

    Also note that a memory clock of 166 MHz produces a memory data
    transfer rate of 333 million memory transfers per second. Transfer's
    per second is not the same as MHz. A 400 "MHz" memory clock is a
    fictitious marketing ploy.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/