    is 42C Which seems to lead more towards the sensor reading incorrect,
    since the sys temp should be much higher if the system is running that
    hot.

    mikep187, Mar 10, 2005

  2. mikep187

    mikep187 Guest

    I flashed the bios to the newest build and got the temps down to about
    45c idle, but now the pc reboots after about 5 mins of stress testing
    (I am running dnet or pcmark04) Full config of pc is as follows
    AbitKV8 Pro socket 754 AMD 64 3700+ 1mb cache Geforce 6600GT agp 1024
    1 gig of cosair value ram. Antec Truepower 420 power supply 40 gig
    Seagate HD NEC 1300A DVD burner. USR 56k hardware modem (Model 2977).
    1 80mm intake and 1 92mm exhaust, and Zalman ALCU heatsink fans on
    both the CPU and Video card The system is currently running stable
    with the 3400+ installed again. No problems at all before I tried the
    new cpu the system would run all day. I am considering returning the
    CPU since the benchmarks I completed are almost identical to the
    3400+. Any ideas to what is causing this?

    mikep187, Mar 10, 2005

  3. mikep187

    Wes Newell Guest

    Can't say for sure what's causing the reboots, but the reasons the
    benchmarks are almost the same is because both cpu's run at the same
    default speed of 2.4GHz. The only difference between the 2 cpu's is the
    cache size, and well, AMD thinks the bigger cache is worth bigger numbers.
    I think you now know different.

    Best guess on the reboots would be the PSU. The 3700+ would draw a lot
    more current because of the double cahe size although it provides very
    little performance increase in most apps. If you can get a refund on the
    CPU, that's what I'd do or credit for something else you might need.

    Wes Newell, Mar 11, 2005
  4. mikep187

    mikep187 Guest

    Thats what I figured, time to call newegg and get a RMA.

    mikep187, Mar 11, 2005