    PS, can you add a 2nd keyboard,mouse and have both sets of
    keyboards,mice to work at the same time so you don't have to press a
    switch button on the KVM?

    rpgs rock dvds, Apr 3, 2008

  2. rpgs rock dvds

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Yes. Just do not connect the monitors over the KVM switch.
    Do you mean you want a second mouse and keyboard on some PCs that
    are not connected over the KVM swich? If they use USB and the
    OS in the PCs support thism, then you can. Might not work
    during bootup though.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Apr 3, 2008

  3. rpgs rock dvds

    Al Dykes Guest

    Yes, connect the video-outs to the monitors instead of teh KVM box.

    I think USB works like that. If you hook several SUB mice to one
    machine, they wil all move the cursor when moved. Try two USB
    keyboaads and see what happens. They might have to be identical.

    IMO, you could get yourself very confused when you try to use this
    lash-up.

    Al Dykes, Apr 3, 2008
  4. Thank you for your help.

    Re: "Do you mean you want a second mouse and keyboard on some PCs that
    are not connected over the KVM swich?" ... I meant:

    Sometimes I'll need to control 2 PCs (with 2 monitors) at the same
    time. For this I'd need 2 sets of mice/keyboards. However, the
    actual PCs themselves may change (out of the 4 possible available).
    Therefore I was hoping that the KVM device would allow me to select 2
    'active' mouse/keyboard/audio ports for this scenario.

    hehe, to be honest, this is confusing me just thinking about this! I
    think if I can muddle my way thru this by just using 1 mouse/keyboard/
    headphone for 4 PCs, but have 4 monitors, then that's the main problem
    solved. I know I'm going to need 2 sets of mice/keyboards for
    controlling 2 PCs at the same time, and will have to experiment a bit
    to get things working OK.

    btw, was browing thru ebuyer (dot com), and thought this could be a
    possibility:

    SwitchView MM1 4-port KVM Switch

    Many thanks, best regards, Robert.

    rpgs rock dvds, Apr 3, 2008
  5. Thanks for your reply. I posted some details to the other guy who
    responded, in case you're interested.

    Cheers, Robert.

    rpgs rock dvds, Apr 3, 2008
  6. rpgs rock dvds

    Arno Wagner Guest

    There are KTM switches that have this "dual channel" capability.
    They were significantly more expensive that last time I checked
    (some years ago) though. If it is not stated explicitely, then
    the KTM switch cannot do it.

    If I read this correctly, this one supports either USB or PS/2,
    but not both at the same time, so you only get 1->4, not 2->4.

    Side note: Some KTM switches want special (expensive) cables.
    Take one that uses standard cables you can get cheap.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Apr 3, 2008
  7. rpgs rock dvds

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Actually USB does nothing for this. It is purely a driver-side
    feature.
    Indeed...

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Apr 3, 2008
  8. rpgs rock dvds

    Chris Guest

    just use two aten usb kvms.
    cost around USD 60.- each.
    but if is only for the mice and keyboards, you might be happy with this
    http://www.usbswitch.com/
    Just use keybords with builtin hubs to connect the mice.
    Chris

    Chris, Apr 4, 2008
  9. Many thanks for the info. Thanks also to everyone else's input.

    Re: "Take one that uses standard cables"

    Yes, this is what I am most worried about. I have looked at some KVM
    products online, and many (all?) seem to require a special vga+keyboard
    +mouse "all-in-one" cable. As I really want to use my nice DVI-D
    video cables, and not KVM cables, I am worried that I won't be able to
    achieve my basic objective, which is to use a KVM device purely for
    just keyboard, mouse and audio sharing. This is my worry ATM.

    Best regards, from Robert.

    rpgs rock dvds, Apr 5, 2008
  10. Interesting product. If I can find something like that to also share
    audio, that would be great. Also, do USB hubs allow the recognition
    of mice and keyboards at boot-up and in DOS?

    rpgs rock dvds, Apr 5, 2008