KVM Switch

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Wayne, Nov 24, 2004.

  1. Wayne

    Wayne Guest

    I am awaiting a new Dell XPS computer to replace my old (still functioning
    well) Dell XPS R450.

    As a result I wonder if I couldn't connect the two together with a KVM
    Switch so that I could go back and forth between the two using one printer,
    monitor, keyboard etc.

    I know next to nothing about KVM Switches so I would appreciate any advise
    anyone could offer as to brands, types etc.

    Thank you
    Wayne, Nov 24, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. Wayne

    Ben Myers Guest

    A two-port KVM would do the job. Lots of brands nowadays. Make sure that the
    new Dell has a PS/2-style keyboard, else you will have to worry about a KVM that
    supports a USB keyboard. Many of the ones on the market handle switching a
    PS/2-style keyboard, PS/2-style mouse and SVGA monitor very nicely.

    .... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Nov 24, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. Wayne

    rila Guest

    KVM switches work fine. Sounds just like what you need. I don't know of
    any that switch printers though. KVM stands for Keyboard, Video, Mouse and
    that is all the cheaper switches will switch.
    rila, Nov 28, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.