KX7-333 and 333FSB 2600+ T'bred HELP!!

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Paul, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    I'm at the end of my tether with this setup. Here's the tale as
    briefly as I can summarise it:

    Been running a 2000+ in this mobo for ages. Bought a 2600+ (333 FSB,
    T'Bred B), upgraded BIOS to latest version (CN), cleared CMOS, popped
    it in and worked like a charm. No option for 2600+ in the BIOS, so set
    "User Defined" with 166FSB, divider at 5:2:1, and 12.5 multiplier.

    After running like this for several weeks, pulled the whole lot into a
    new case (with new PSU). It does the memory test OK but freezes before
    it starts finding the IDE devices. Put it all back in the old case (I
    think EXACTLY as it was before) and doesn't work anymore. Tried it
    outside the case on a glass table with all disconnected except HD and
    AGP card but still no joy.

    Eventually figured out I can get it to work by selecting "Failsafe
    Defaults". More tweaking showed it's stable at 100 FSB, 3:2:1 divider
    and 12.5 multiplier. I can increase the FSB gradually (moved divider
    to 4:2:1 to avoid overclocking PCI and AGP) and it starts flaking out
    at around 125 FSB. At lower FSB it nearly gets into Windows but then
    freezes, any higher and it freezes right after the memory test.

    What have I done? I cleared the CMOS before powering it up in the new
    case. I discovered that the old PSU was only 250W (I had thought I had
    a 350W!). Interesting thing is the CPU was running at around 50-55
    degrees idle in the old case (even with the case open). Now it's less
    than 40 all the time.

    I've done several runs of MemTest with no problems (but only at 100FSB
    which clocks the CPU at 1250).

    I don't really understand about voltages. I have it at "CPU Default".
    Do I need to adjust one of these?

    KX7-333 rev 1.1
    Single 512MB stick of Kingston PC2700
    Abit GeForce4 Ti4200 64MB
    Maxtor 80GB ATA133
    Pioneer A105 DVDRW
    DLink Internal ADSL Modem
    550W PSU
    XP Home with SP1

    ANY help or ideas are very much appreciated!

    Paul, Feb 12, 2004

  2. Paul

    - HAL9000 Guest

    - HAL9000, Feb 13, 2004