    hardware related problem.

    Do you happen to know if this is easily fixable or what may cause it?

    Thanks a million in advance.

    parrif_ibb, May 22, 2007

  2. parrif_ibb

    Ben Myers Guest

    From what you've described, the problem would seem to be an unstable Ethernet
    transceiver on the motherboard. The long term fix is expensive. Replace the
    motherboard.

    A simpler and very inexpensive solution would be to get a PCMCIA (aka PC Card)
    10/100 Ethernet card with drivers and install it. PCMCIA 10/100 Ethernet cards
    are readily available for not much money these days, because nearly every
    notebook computer built lately has built-in 10/100 Ethernet. I recommend either
    3COM or Xircom 10/100 cards. The 3COM has a dongle with is a pain in the ass.
    The Xircom does not have a dongle, but it protrudes about an inch outside the
    chassis, also a pain in the ass. The Megahertz 10/100 card is flush with the
    computer chassis when inserted, and it has a flimsy plastic retractable Ethernet
    connector, not recommended. Those are the 3 name-brand cards, no longer in
    production, but inexpensive and used. There are others available, too.

    Of course, with Windows, there is always the possibility of some software
    problem, isn't there? ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 22, 2007

  3. parrif_ibb

    Woody Guest

    A more likely reason is that it does not have the latest drivers for that
    particular laptop. There is also the possibility that the company has
    modified drivers for it's applications. Talk to the IT people at work.

    Woody, May 22, 2007
  4. parrif_ibb

    Ben Myers Guest

    Yes, I had not thought of that possibility. I had assumed that the software
    driver stack was operating correctly... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 23, 2007