    Is GW still good option? emachine?

    Son says to avoid Dell with their current problems.

    Toshiba nixed here in ng but friend has one and said OK.

    Frank, Oct 3, 2010

  2. Frank

    SC Tom Guest

    I got this deal in email today:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...00510-Index-_-LaptopsNotebooks-_-34115858-L0B

    Sounds like a decent machine, and has some impressive specs for the price.
    Unfortunately, there are no reviews for it on Newegg, but a search may show
    up some reviews elsewhere.

    SC Tom, Oct 5, 2010

  3. Frank

    chicagofan Guest

    I consider Gateway still a good option, because my laptop is 4 yrs. old,
    and has never had a repair. I know quality trends can vary in that
    length of time, but all of the Gateway desktop computers [3] I have
    owned never failed me either, until lightning fried various parts while
    I was at work. :)

    I would certainly check recent reviews on them in the PC magazines
    online if I found one I liked.
    bj

    chicagofan, Oct 7, 2010
  4. Frank

    Frank Guest

    Appreciate replies. I'm just wondering what brands I should avoid. Son
    had said to avoid Dell and I don't like HP because of very frustrating
    calls we've had with them on printer problems. Toshiba sounds like an
    option along with GW.

    Wife's use will not be intensive but I want to get her something she
    would like. I'll probably hit the computer stores in a couple of weeks,
    see what I like, check reviews and purchase someplace on line.

    Frank

    Frank, Oct 7, 2010
  5. Frank

    chicagofan Guest

    After reading a number of web site "user reviews" at shopping sites,
    you'll get an idea about that. :)

    My personal choices have been to avoid Dell and HP, although I have had
    friends who buy both, and in spite of their problems with the hardware,
    continue to buy them. :)

    I also have a prejudice against Toshiba, because of a new DVD recorder
    experience, but Joan has a good opinion of their computers, which is
    what you are concerned about.

    Good luck ... there's a world of information online. :)
    bj

    chicagofan, Oct 7, 2010
  6. Frank

    Ben Myers Guest

    All I can say is that Dell and Lenovo are generally well-designed, with
    service manuals freely available, and spare parts in abundance.

    HP and Toshiba totally suck to repair. Intricate over-complicated
    assembly. Hard to find spare parts. HP has some service manuals
    available, Toshiba none.

    I have no experience working with Fujitsu and Panasonic laptops, not
    enough with Acer-eGateMachines to form an opinion.

    Finally, every brand name has its share of lemons. Witness the recent
    settlement of the nVidia class action lawsuit identifying HP, Dell and
    Apple models of laptops for recall and repair... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 8, 2010
  7. Frank

    BillW50 Guest

    To add even more confusion, 2009 Consumer Reports ranked Toshiba as the
    most reliable. While Dell and Lenovo were dead last. I personally prefer
    Gateways (have four of them) or Asus (also have four of them) myself.

    BillW50, Oct 13, 2010
  8. Frank

    Frank Guest

    I had previously read Ben's comments on Toshiba and was prejudiced
    against them but a friend has one and is happy with it and I checked lap
    tops at Best Buy yesterday and clerk was high on them saying they had
    less problems than other brands.

    As someone that only buys a new computer every few years, it is
    frustrating to always have to make yourself current as to what is going
    on with a market that rapidly changes.

    Now I'm confused where to buy, on line or local.

    Frank, Oct 13, 2010
  9. Frank

    Frank Guest

    Figure I have over a month to fool around as present is for Christmas
    and her birthday which is following week. She's not a heavy user and I
    may even buy AMD processor. Of late, I had been buying on line at
    Amazon and there is a function in Firefox that gives comparative prices.
    My normal routine is to find what I like in the store, look at it, and
    then buy on line.

    I was happy with old GW, ordering on line, and then at their store when
    they had them.

    Frank, Oct 13, 2010
  10. Frank

    Ben Myers Guest

    If you buy a Toshiba, cross your fingers or pray to your favorite diety
    that it will not require service for any reason except for the routine
    ones like memory upgrades. Also, figure out early on how to keep the
    air vents clear of dust and dirt. Toshibas often suffer from clogged
    air vents that cause overheating, not good for the long haul.

    Store clerks will tell you anything to get you to buy, especially if
    they are on commission... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 13, 2010
  11. Frank

    BillW50 Guest

    Best Buy clerks work on commission? I really don't know, thus why I am
    asking.

    I got curious and Googled it. And it seems they don't, but they do
    usually have to make a quota. Hmm... I guess the threat of being fired
    would normally be a pretty good motivator too without the extra pay.

    BillW50, Oct 14, 2010
  12. Frank

    Ben Myers Guest

    Quota. Commission. What's the diff? I said "if" about the commission,
    being uncertain of the facts myself. There is a difference when the
    paychecks are done, but not in employee motivation... Ben

    Ben Myers, Oct 14, 2010