    was hoping i could buy a battery with a better life, but the internet seems
    to prove i can't :(

    Ah well...

    Dave, May 31, 2004

  2. 2 hours is the typical "nominal" battery life of a full-function,
    full-size laptop. The only way to extend this is by using the power
    management tools available to shut down parts of the laptop. It's
    unlikely that a significantly higher capacity battery is available. For
    some laptops, external batteries are available from 3rd party vendors.

    Barry Watzman, May 31, 2004

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I must say Mr.Watzman (funky surname by the by's..) you seem quite
    knowledgable...

    When you say 'power management tools' - i take it you mean the power saving
    thingies in windows? I've initiated them; is there anything else i can do? I
    thought maybe 'disabling' firewire and the modem (and USB) ports might help,
    no? I don't use them, and if i needed to i'm quite capable of enabling them
    in xp's device manager...

    On another note, i installed cpuidle on my laptop, but it just makes
    mousepad movement very very hard and jerky; i'm really wanting to get as
    much time of it as possible! I've dimmed the screen, and fully discharged
    and charged it since i bought it... maybe i'm clutching at some proverbial
    straws...

    I just feel that my laptop, whilst lasting 2 hours with minor use, when i
    actually use it constantly it lasts about an hour.

    I think i'll wait a good few years until my next laptop then, 2 hours light
    use is pretty rubbish; although i suppose it's my own fault for not
    researching enough before purchasing.

    Thanks anyway, i suspected there wasn't much i could do...

    Dave, May 31, 2004
  4. It sounds like you have done most of what you can do. If this spec is
    important, it's something to check out before you buy a laptop. While
    about 2 hours is probably typical, there are laptops that go a LOT longer.

    You don't say what OS you are using. CPU idle shouldn't be used. All
    Windows OS' since Windows 98SE (but not 1st edition) stop the CPU during
    the idle loop. For 98 (1st edition) and earlier, Rain, CPU idle, etc.
    can reduce heat and increase life somewhat. However, everything that
    you can do will only produce marginal improvement. For the most part,
    the bulk of the power consumption is not anything that you will have
    tremendous control over, unfortunately.

    Barry Watzman, May 31, 2004
  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Xp home; i'm very experienced with pc's in general; but laptops are another
    story...a lot more can go wrong with them, and altough 2 hours sounds like a
    lot, when you see that battery-charge percentage going down very couple of
    minutes, it becomes quite disconserting; you don't know how long you've got
    left REALLY...

    But ah well, i'll know for when i buy a knew one in 2006...

    Thankies

    Dave, May 31, 2004
  6. NO! WRONG!

    You do not have a laptop

    You had been tricked to purchase a pseudo "Laptop" with
    hot desktop CPU
    Look on the power usage, while the computer does nothing else
    than wait for an user action

    http://notebook.pege.org/benchmarks/warten-stromverbrauch.htm

    23 Watt compared to 55 Watt.

    Best advice: Try to find a fool and sell him the computer
    claiming strong the real power of real GHz and so on...

    Invest the money in a real laptop with Pentium-M

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Roland_M=F6sl?=, May 31, 2004
  7. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Aw so i don't own a laptop...

    Okay, well http://www.expansys.com have the same style of notebook, yet with
    a pentium4M - and the battery-time is *also* 2 hours (approx) - so i dont'
    see the point in taking what i've bought back right now, do you?

    Dave, May 31, 2004
  8. Normaly, I purchase every even year a new notebook.

    But it was not possible to purchase 2002 a new notebook
    because of all the crap with the so called "mobile" P4.

    Compared to the mobile P3 Tualatin, this
    so called "mobile" P4 was a bad joke.

    A wrong labeling!

    Because the so called "mobile" P4 used
    more power than a desktop P3.

    I avoided to purchase such a crap at all cost.

    So I purchased my last notebook not summer 2002,
    only 9 month later, April 2003, I purchased one
    of the first Pentium-M Banias Centrino, an
    Acer Travelmate 800

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Roland_M=F6sl?=, May 31, 2004
  9. Dave

    Spaghetti Guest

    What you have here is a Desktop Replacement, low portability/battery life
    to make way for higher performance. And a lot of people still love these
    machines! Graphics professionals and the like who need great performance
    and are happy so long as they can haul the machine around their home or to
    the office. They still sell these things new all the time, so you might
    want to try selling it (eBay!).

    Now what you probably want is a "thin and light" which gives you a good
    slice of desktop performance, but 5 or 6 hours of battery life and a
    lighter package. There are also "ultra portables" but these have slower
    performance, smaller screens, and full-day battery life (12 hours).

    Look for a Pentium-M processor, not to be confused with Mobile Pentium
    processors (like Pentium 4-M). You might be turned off by the lower
    clockspeeds at first, but remember these are a completely new design, and
    typically do twice as much work in a single clock cycle as a regular
    Pentium. So a 1.6 Ghz Pentium-M is roughly on par with a 2.6 Ghz desktop
    Pentium (this is a rough estimate, please keep that in mind). But this
    confusion in the clockspeeds is why Intel has decided to give them model
    numbers instead.

    Next, remember to read reviews and opinions on notebooks, it will save you
    a lot of headaches in the future, start here:

    http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4521-6527_16-5021302-2.html?tag=dir.tp

    (Ignore their quoted prices, you can almost always find cheaper configs on
    http://pricegrabber.com/).

    Last but not least, look into manufacturer refurb notebooks. You can save
    quite a bundle, and almost always get the same warrenties as the new
    notebooks. In the case of HP/Compaq, when I was buying a refurb from
    RadioShack a while ago, they told me all the refurbs had new screens and
    casing, and the harddrives were rebuilt! It was a while ago, so still
    might not be true, but with a great warrenty you should be okay, and the
    savings are huge.

    Hope this helps you in the quest for a laptop that suits you. :)

    Spaghetti, Jun 2, 2004