Laptop battery loses charge when off??

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by micky, Feb 24, 2013.

  1. micky

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Oh, for sure - at the very least the first time - but then one would like to
    think that if someone had gone to those lengths to try to breathe new life
    into a battery pack / laptop then they'd be watching it closely anyway. i.e.
    Not just throwing it on the bed, plugging it in and then throwing the covers
    back.... <g>

    I didn't mean to disagree with your suggestion of safety first at all. I was
    only positing what I *think* happens when the afore-mentioned technique
    gives a good result - and that I didn't think that, from that point on, for
    the rest of it's life the machine / battery needed to be treated like an
    IED. Safety first is always a good policy when dealing with things that may
    explode or start a fire.
    Ok, I can only talk about the models that I have myself really - and a
    little of what I've read that seemed credible enough to be filed as 'fact
    [check if unsure]' - usually from posters whom I trust at forums.thinkpads.
    It may just help. Usually it's only done as a last-ditch attempt anyway -
    the exception being the guy I know who used to work in the Islands.....

    Cheers,
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Mar 18, 2013

  2. No!

    First, take out all the batteries, even the little round yellow
    one, then tear it down to major subsystems, wash the keyboard and the
    motherboard clean in the sink (yes, with water), then let them dry for
    a week (or 3 weeks if you live in Seattle). Put it all back together
    and *then* apply electricity.

    Chances are if it had power applied while it was wet it's bricked.
    But maybe not... Stuff like this is why I gave my kid a Toughbook.

    the wharf rat, Mar 19, 2013

  3. micky

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Well, it seems that I'm about to discover if there's anything to this
    'frozen battery pack' thing for myself.

    I like IBM / Lenovo15" T60 4:3 aspect ratio ThinkPads with the 1400 x 1050
    resolution IPS screen. I would go as far as to say I *really* like them.
    They were made in ~2007 but I'm not in the socio-economic group that can
    afford to buy new laptops. Consequently I first one second-hand in late 2009
    (it had a 36-month warranty as was still covered for ~6 months). It wasn't
    cheap, costing me NZ$1,200, about 1/3 of what the high-end T60s cost when
    they were new here.

    In fact I liked it so much that, when I saw an identically-specced one for
    sale for NZ$800 almost a year later I bought it as a spare. I think that
    they're sufficeiently powerful to be useful for a decade at least and I
    dislike short screens. Also, it's was prooving nigh-on impossible to get a
    new laptop with an IPS screen (or was at the time). Lenovo had announced
    they weren't going to use IPS after the T60 and I think that the quality of
    the screen is importnat enough to be a deal-breaker / maker.

    I'm still using my 'first' machine and, thankfully it's still going very
    well, especially with the pinacle of HDD manufacture fitted, the Seagate
    Momentus XT ST750LX003 750[8] GB hybrid HDD.

    (This is worth a side-bar IMO. Seagate have decided in their infinite wisdom
    that their newer, generation 3 range of Momentus XT drives will be 5,400rpm,
    not 7,200 and also will use MLC NAND rather than the SLC used in this
    (generation 2 XT hybrid) drive. As it's my experience that a good quality
    HDD, well looked-after can last a long, long time and MLC NAND only has 10 -
    25% of the 'life' of SLC it seems that Seagate are building to a
    price-point. I don't think sales of this model were enough for them to
    continue making them as 'enthusiasts' were using SSDs and, for some odd
    reason, uptake of this brilliant drive was low. Grab remaining stock while
    you can, they're not being made anymore. [You heard it here first!!] )

    Every ~6 months I pull out the #2 machine and fire it up, update Windows
    (both dual-boot XP and 7) and generally let it run for a few days to drive
    out any moisture that may have worked its way in (it can be humid in NZ and
    I can't afford climate-controlled storage unfortunately - a couple of items
    from my 1960s / 70s vintage audio component collection have recently
    suffered.)

    Anyway, to the point.... At first the battery LED flashed orange for 10
    seconds, then stayed lit orange. It showed in Windows that it was charging.
    That worried me as part of the reason for the periodic fire-up of the
    machines is to run the batteries through a few cycles and they're usually
    still at half-charge when I get them out. However, over the next couple of
    hours the battery charged fine, up to 100%. 3rd party software (Notebook
    Hardware Control, [NHC]) said that the battery was 27% worn, about right, it
    was 24% when last checked.

    That night I turned it off and the next morning turned it on again. Well!
    The battery LED flashed orange again and this time stayed flashing orange!
    However, the odd thing is that the Lenovo battery software, while telling me
    that the battery had failed due to general usage, still said 100%, ame as it
    did when I charged it. (Normally if the batt's shot it shows 0%.) On
    checking NHC it said that the battery was good, still holding 27% of specced
    charge. Hmmmm....

    So I unplugged the AC brick, started an AVI and left it to run. (Lenovo's
    software instantly warned me to replace the battery....) It ran for just
    over three hours - not bad for a fairly powerful laptop with a power-hungry
    IPS display. (NHC said that the laptop was pulling ~21 watts from the
    battery all of the time I was running it down.

    However, once it was flat it wouldn't charge at all. I just get that Lenovo
    'Power Manager' telling me the battery's shot. How can that be when it just
    powered the machine for 3/4 of the time that a new battery would? It's
    bloody annoying so the battery's in the freezer - 4 hours now - I'll put it
    back in the laptop in a while and try it again..

    Sorry for the digression, just thought the info was relevant.

    ~misfit~, Apr 11, 2013