Laptop Battery Not Charging (Remains at 0% while charging)

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Christina, Oct 25, 2003.

  1. Christina

    Christina Guest

    Hi,

    Im having a problem with my laptop battery. The ac/adapter cord broke so I
    rejoined it in the meantime until I got a replacement.

    I was running on battery while I fixed the cord and I ran the battery down
    completely. When it reached 0% I was still able to use the battery for
    awhile after this until it finally shut down.

    Ever since, the battery will not charge. It shows that it is charging, the
    led is orange meaning its charging but it remains at 0% and in reality isnt
    charging. After it "charges" the adapter goes on Ac power and doesnt show
    the charging symbol (this is what it does when it charges the battery fully)
    but this time instead of being a green light indicating the battery is fully
    charged, the light is red meaning there is a battery problem.

    Is there a way I can check this battery or fix it? I dont have another
    battery at the moment to check for sure if its the battery or something in
    the system.

    Christina, Oct 25, 2003

  2. Christina

    Conor Turton Guest

    You should never run a battery completely flat. It kills them.

    Conor Turton, Oct 25, 2003

  3. There is no (user) way to check except with another pack. The
    only possible fix may be checking for bent contacts and cleaning
    the pack contacts with some rough paper. Cleaning, and even
    sometimes just checking, the contacts in the laptop could be
    difficult without disassembly. Unless you see internal bent or
    dirty contatcts on the pack, cleaning in the laptop is not needed.

    Good luck.

    H. Dziardziel, Oct 26, 2003
  4. Christina

    Christina Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks for the posts. So basically because I used the battery until it shut
    off, the battery is no longer good? That ruined my battery permanently?

    Nothing is broken or dirty on the battery. The battery isnt even that old.
    Im hoping its not broken or hoping there is a way to fix it because I would
    hate to have to buy a new one.

    Christina, Oct 26, 2003
  5. You should never run a battery completely flat. It kills them.

    On the contrary, IBM specifically recommends running a battery all the way
    down once in a while. From the "Battery tips" help file in IBM's Battery
    MaxiMiser program:

    "Occasionally, it may be necessary to "deep cycle" your battery one to three
    times to give it optimum performance. This will require you to let your
    battery run completely down, and then to recharge it fully. It is
    recommended that you charge your ThinkPad overnight for a full charge from a
    deep recharge condition without leaving your ThinkPad powered on. A brand
    new battery should be fully charged overnight before its first use."

    They go on to explain how to disable the normal low-battery alarm and
    shutoff so you can run the battery all the way down, followed by a full
    recharge. They recommend this for both Li-ion and NiMH batteries.

    I don't know what kind of machine Christina has or what kind of battery it
    uses, so I don't know what went wrong or whether this advice pertains to her
    machine.

    -Mike

    Michael Geary, Oct 26, 2003
  6. Christina

    marlinspike Guest

    Somehow I doubt doing that once killed it. I have an HP, and HP also
    recommends deep cylcing the battery once in a while, in fact they even have
    a program that does this for you. While it did mess the battery up a little
    bit (namely by decreasing max capacity by a little bit), but it was only a
    100 or so mah ( out of 4400) each time.
    Richard

    marlinspike, Oct 26, 2003
  7. Christina

    Christina Guest

    I have a HP Pavillion ZT1145 notebook and the battery is HP f3712A lithium
    ion battery. I ran it down to 0% and now it wont charge. I have a hard time
    believing that it is dead for good just because of this, but HP online
    support also said this but I dont know.

    Im starting to think there might be something wrong with the adapter because
    I couldnt run the HP battery utility because I do not have a floppy drive
    but I was able to burn it as an image to run from my cd rom drive and when I
    run it, it is telling me now that the Ac adapter is either not plugged into
    the notebook or not in a live outlet, which it is and which it is because
    its plugged into a power bar.

    So I cant check the battery this way because it doesnt recognise the
    adapter.

    I cant see why the adapter would have problems again.

    Christina, Oct 26, 2003
  8. Christina

    Christina Guest

    I guess I will try changing the adapter to see if this works now with the
    utility. I also had another adapter plugged in of the same specifications
    but it was a compaq adapter but it still worked with the notebook and the
    battery would not charge with this also, but I didnt know at the time if it
    would work to convert my cd rom into a bootable floppy until today to run
    the utility, and now that I can run the utility to check the battery, it
    doesnt recognise the adapter.

    Anyone have any suggestions until I can get another replacement adapter? Or
    if this is even necessary?

    TIA

    Christina, Oct 26, 2003
  9. Christina

    Conor Turton Guest

    No, running it until the laptop shut down wouldn't kill it. Keeping on
    powering it up after that until there wasn't even a flicker of LEDs
    would.

    Conor Turton, Oct 26, 2003
  10. Christina () wrote:
    with editing...
    : Im having a problem with my laptop battery. The ac/adapter cord broke so I
    : rejoined it in the meantime until I got a replacement.

    : I was running on battery while I fixed the cord and I ran the battery down
    : completely. When it reached 0% I was still able to use the battery for
    : awhile after this until it finally shut down.

    After reading your responses, I would guess that when the adapter
    cord broke, it caused a voltage spike. One or more components was
    damaged either in the AC adapter or on the mainboard or in the pack.
    Probably the AC adapter and the pack. The mainboard, or the power
    sub-board if this system has one, may be okay.
    Would be good if you had a digital multi-meter to test, but I guess
    you don't. So replace the AC adapter, then the pack and if it still
    doesn't work have someone look at the power circuits inside the
    case.
    Or, send it in to the factory. That might be the cheapest way in the
    end.

    Regards. RAF

    Roy A. Fletcher, Oct 26, 2003
  11. Christina

    micmedic Guest

    battery at the moment to check for sure if its the battery or something in
    I had a similar problem with the battery not charging after my HP did not go
    into hibernation or standby when the battery was down. HP suggested updating
    the newest Bios and installing it. That did the trick.

    micmedic, Oct 27, 2003
  12. Christina

    Steve Guest

    Isn't that just what a battery calibration program does?

    Steve, Nov 1, 2003