    know the specs of the computer.

    Thanks
    Mike

    MikeM, Jan 17, 2009

  2. MikeM

    Ben Myers Guest

    MikeM wrote:
    > A friend has a toshiba laptop that closes down after being on for 5-10
    > minutes. any suggestions where to look? It is running XP but I don't
    > know the specs of the computer.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mike

    Not exactly a message about HP, but there is no Toshiba newsgroup, and
    my response may be of general interest.

    Where to look?

    #1. Excessive heat caused by clogged air vents and cooling fan.
    #2. See #1.
    #3. Software may be the cause, tho unlikely. If your friend has a "live
    CD" for Linux, try running it for a while to see if the computer shuts
    down then. If it does, see #1, see if blowing out the air vents with
    compressed air solves the problem. Also, a partial disassembly of the
    system cleaning out all dust, dirt and other debris may be the answer,
    but often best left in the hands of a competent professional. I
    disassemble laptops enough so I can get at the cooling fan(s) with
    Q-tips and other small things to loosen dist and dirt.
    #4. Toshiba has a track record of using somewhat oddball chipsets and
    other hardware in the designs of its laptops. It is possible that a
    freeware utility like Speedfan will work, to monitor system
    temperatures, but probably not.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 17, 2009