Laptop disaster -- F11 no longer works for recovery

Discussion in 'HP' started by - Bobb -, Jul 27, 2007.

  1. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Depends ... When 'whoever did the Vista install' got to the screen that
    asked "which drive/partition to install it on?", did they answer C ? D ?
    Overwrite existing ? etc - It should be OBVIOUS to installer that they are
    about to overwrite the 'xp MC' install. Without the factory partititions
    ( if they chose to erase/reformat), nor the original HP CD - you now have
    a 'new hard drive' with no HP factory info on it ( no restore partititon
    either). Need to purchase XP Media Center CD again. Even if you DO
    get/use a 'valid Vista license', you're gonna be missing all of the
    drivers for the built-in hardware. (Fetch them via web and from another PC
    and burn to CD /copy to folder on HP PC ).
    To make XP work again - go to HP website, enter the model number - go to
    parts ordering - to get the Install DVD's. Cost ma about $10-$20. Boot
    DVD #1 to reinstall XP. Otherwise you now have a boat anchor.
    ( Even if you do get Vista to work, I'd recommend that everyone buy their
    restore media - just to have it. In a few years ( after they sellout) they
    will not be available and then a hd failure means pc is useless. Spend the
    $20 and put them in the drawer as insurance.

    - Bobb -, Jul 27, 2007

  2. I am trying to help one of my wife's foreign students, who borrowed a
    Vista Home Premium CD from a friend to upgrade her HP Pavilion dv2125nr
    notebook that came with XP Media Center Edition.

    AFAICT, the upgrade was successful, but of course she cannot use the
    machine because there is no valid license key. She does not have the
    money to purchase a legitimate Vista key.

    According to all I have read, pressing F11 repeatedly at the HP logo
    should get me into the Recovery screen, but the only place it gets me is
    the Windows options screen (e.g., Safe, Normal).

    Is it possible that installing Vista has killed the F11 option (e.g.,
    altered the BIOS)? I don't yet know whether the student made the
    recovery CDs or DVDs: I can't contact her at present.

    Perce

    Percival P. Cassidy, Jul 28, 2007

  3. I discovered a BIOS update program for this machine on the HP Web site:

    sp36119.exe

    It says to save it to the hard disk and execute it, but it's not
    possible to boot the machine into Windows. Would executing it from an
    external hard disk or USB thumb drive while in the Recovery Console of
    an XP Pro CD work, or do we have to be able to get it booted into
    Windows first?

    If she gets the Recovery Disks from HP, will they fix up any BIOS
    problems too? I recall trying to reinstall WinME to a Toshiba laptop
    that had been repaired, but it wouldn't work because the repair center
    had mistyped the model name when they configured the BIOS; thus the name
    for which the restore CD was looking was not found.

    Perce

    Percival P. Cassidy, Jul 29, 2007
  4. - Bobb -

    Steve Guest

    Perce...

    1. You are supposed to hit F11 right at Power Up... could be waiting for
    the logo is too late.

    2. When the "borrowed" Vista CD was used... was the "D:" partition
    destroyed?? HP made the D: for System Recovery and to Burn new CDs.

    3. Vista would NOT alter the BIOS... but, just guessing... could be the
    owner burned the Recovery CDs and HP's recovery process is coded to "use the
    CDs if burned"??

    4. Last option would be to call HP and order the Recovery CDs... go to
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...=us&dlc=en&product=3245594&rule=29517&lang=en
    and see what they want. As I read it... they are NOT FREE but I didn't see
    how much.

    Steve

    Steve, Jul 29, 2007
  5. My guess is that the (non-HP) Vista installation has overwritten the
    HP-specific boot loader (or whatever) that manages the F11 key
    detection. The recovery partition is probably intact, but orphaned.
    I agree, most unlikely.
    Very much doubt it - can't see why HP would bother.
    I ordered one for a customer recently [failed disk, no recovery CD
    burnt!] - £25.90. But the real issue was the delivery delay - 6
    weeks.

    Frazer Jolly Goodfellow, Jul 29, 2007

  6. Even Safe Mode would not work ("activation period expired," or some such
    message), so I hooked up a USB hard disk and booted from a dfSEE CD
    (www.dfsee.com -- it's not as pretty as Partition Magic, but PM
    complained about "bad clusters" and quit), then cloned the C: drive to
    free space on the external drive. Then I connected the external drive to
    another machine and burned the contents of the Users folder to a couple
    of DVDs.

    The student had not made the Recovery Disks (CD or DVD) as recommended,
    so I assume she is going to buy a set from HP. Once she has the machine
    back in working order with XP, she can copy her stuff back from the DVDs.

    Perce

    Percival P. Cassidy, Aug 1, 2007
  7. I tried it both ways. No go.
    The D: partition looks OK to me.
    I was thinking that, if the Vista CD/DVD she used was for a different
    computer AND that computer needed some BIOS change to be able to use
    Vista, the Vista installation/upgrade might have performed that change
    on the HP BIOS and messed it up.
    I got her files off onto an external disk drive, then hooked that up to
    another computer and burned the files onto DVDs.

    I think she's ordered the Recovery Disks from HP now.

    Perce

    Percival P. Cassidy, Aug 1, 2007
  8. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    re:
    The student had not made the Recovery Disks (CD or DVD) as recommended,
    so I assume she is going to buy a set from HP. Once she has the machine
    back in working order with XP, she can copy her stuff back from the DVDs.

    Noone I know made them , nor bought them.
    When they bought the new pc and turned it on, the kids wanted to use it.
    "we'll do it later"
    Later, they didn't make them either.
    Only when it dies do they remember: " I meant to do that".

    - Bobb -, Aug 1, 2007
  9. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Perce,

    Nice going. Glad you were able to get her stuff off there.
    Also, aside from the license issue, it seems that the built-in hardware
    worked ok ?
    As for wrong CD: if OEM CD - you can't use restore DVD/CD for different
    model - the install procedure checks. I've tried it on a few Dell's just
    to see. " Object PC does not match model number " type message. On a
    Compaq Armada series 3500 that came with 2000, I tried to use a later
    "armada XP version" restore when xp came out - got a similiar message at
    very start of install. I suspect same security now. So doubt it would
    have done it automatically - or even purposely.

    Re - HP BIOS .. if you suspect that is bad, you can reset to factory - see
    specific area for your model on HP website.

    - Bobb -, Aug 1, 2007
  10. - Bobb -

    Ulrich Windl Guest

    One may borrow any Microsoft media to install anything, but that is illegal in
    most cases, and everbody really should know. There's absolutely no sense in
    installing Windows Vista if you don't want to buy a license.

    This is somewhat misplaced in a HP hardware newsgroup... software problems...

    Ulrich
    [...]

    Ulrich Windl, Aug 2, 2007