    but i have noway of loading the os on....any ideas what it could
    be....ive already spent £100 trying to figue it out ......my mum loves
    the laptop but im about to give up......thanks

    gram, Oct 26, 2007

  2. gram

    mike Guest

    Can you make it boot from a USB CD?

    One thing I've done with win2k is to install a base system on
    a desktop, imaged the disk to a DVD, inserted the laptop drive,
    restored the image from the DVD, copied enough drivers to get the
    network working, then plugged it back into the laptop. Win2k has
    been very resilient when swapped between two completely different
    machines.
    With win2k,
    you can even install from a cd image on the hard drive.

    MS has put BIG obstacles in your way to prevent loss of XP revenue.
    All the copy protection and activation built into XP may prevent this.
    And the methods used by your restore CD may prevent restoring
    onto another system. Send a thank you note to MS for wasting your life.

    Is your old drive bad? Or just data corruption? If the latter, put
    it back and try to recover from the corruption. If the drive is going
    bad, clone it to another then deal with the data corruption.

    You probably don't want to hear about periodic system backups...
    mike

    mike, Oct 26, 2007

  3. It's acting like a bad drive or interface port (IDE or SATA). Try
    pushing the drive into the computer fairly hard ... the plug at the back
    may not be fully engaged (a tiny fraction of an inch that you can't even
    see/feel may make all the difference in the world).

    Barry Watzman, Oct 26, 2007
  4. gram

    gram Guest

    i cant boot from usb....my laptop dosnt have that option......the shop
    has told me i need to replace my motherboard
    .....im just making sure i try everything else first....laptop tries to
    start...it shows xp loading page but then flashes and tries to reload
    again....if i got another identical acer could i put my hd in....load
    on my recover disks then put hd back in the faulty one

    gram, Oct 26, 2007
  5. Well, a last resort here is to take the hard drive out of the computer
    and put the Windows setup files on it using another PC, then put it back
    into the computer and do the install entirely from the hard drive
    without every using the optical drive (or any other drive) at all. You
    may have to initially do this using a FAT32 partition, then convert it
    to NTFS later (or just leave it FAT32).

    Barry Watzman, Oct 26, 2007
  6. gram

    gram Guest

    thanks for all the ansers....i think i am going to wait to get another
    aspire1700 put hard drive in it and use it to load recover disk onto
    hd then put it back in the broken one

    gram, Oct 27, 2007