    burn speeds, but I'm worried that an external might be slow to rip
    because it is external. Can anyone shed some light on this for me...
    possibly recommend some brands/models?

    chris.m.ortega, Nov 8, 2006

  2. chris.m.ortega

    Gaylord Guest

    I have a 9300 dell, with an external burner, the problem I get is that its
    almost impossible to burn the disk at 16x....
    If I pull it off my C: drive, there is no chance, if I pull the data of one
    of my external drives then it works a lot better.

    I "backup" a lot of my cd's and with taking a dvd-9 and using dvd-shrink, or
    something else, I can normally have the
    iso file on my hd in around 35mins.

    HTH

    Gaylord, Nov 8, 2006

  3. I burn DVDs at 2x, even though I have an 8X drive and 4X media. The
    quality and reliability of the media is somewhat a function of the burn
    speed, and frankly 8x is in my view too fast (and clearly I'm not even
    comfortable with 4X, but that's me).

    An external drive with USB2 can be as fast as an internal drive. But in
    the end the issue is most likely that if you do any traveling, you won't
    want to carry a big, bulky external drive around (with it's power supply
    and cables, it will be bigger and will weigh more than the laptop).

    I'd go for an internal drive, if Dell's price is not outrageous (which
    it well might be).

    Barry Watzman, Nov 8, 2006
  4. chris.m.ortega

    BillW50 Guest

    I have an internal DVD 8x (dual layer) on my Gateway MX6124 and it burns
    great at this speed.
    Yeah my external HD USB 2.0 is noticeable faster than my internal one
    too.
    I have Nero Express v6 and I know how to burn ISO files to make a disc,
    but I don't know how the other way around. Maybe Nero Express can't do
    this.

    BillW50, Nov 8, 2006
  5. chris.m.ortega

    BillW50 Guest

    I have not noticed any problems with my 8x internal DVD dual-layer
    drive. It seems to handle it just fine.
    Mine external USB2 hard drive is really much faster than my internal
    one.

    BillW50, Nov 8, 2006
  6. chris.m.ortega

    gha4 Guest

    Here is my suggestion:

    1.Buy an internal DVD burner.
    2.Buy a 5.25 inch optical drive casing (to make it external)
    3.Assemble them and there you have an external DVD burner that have
    the same performance as for the internal one.

    I've tried it and it works perfectly fine.

    gha4, Nov 9, 2006