    temperature is 64 degrees Celcius (147 fahrenheit) and the CPU
    usage/activity is less than three percent.

    Any ideas?

    neilsanner, Feb 1, 2006

  2. neilsanner

    neilsanner Guest

    Hi think I've just found the answer to his myself.

    Yesterday I went into Power Options Properties and changed the Power
    sheme to Home/Office Desk. I remembered that it was since then that the
    fan was running at full speed all the time. To fix this I put the
    scheme to Portable/Laptop and VoilĂ !!! The fan is back to normal...

    I don't understand though... Why should this make a difference?

    neilsanner

    neilsanner, Feb 1, 2006

  3. Possibly the Home/office setting disables "speed step" (slowing down the
    CPU) and causes the CPU to run at full speed constantly.

    I was going to suggest that your CPU fan/heatsink may be clogged with dust.

    Barry Watzman, Feb 1, 2006
  4. neilsanner

    neilsanner Guest

    You're right:
    "On a default Windows XP installation, the power schemes in the power
    settings of the system panel control the frequencies of the processor."
    http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/index.html

    They have a nice little app at this website which enables to control
    cpu frequency.

    neilsanner

    neilsanner, Feb 1, 2006