Laptop fell, now power-up goes to instant power-down; any hope?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Newbie Supreme, May 5, 2007.

  1. Toshiba Satellite A60. Fell about 2 1/2 feet onto carpeted floor, landed on
    front left corner. Didn't look or sound like that bad a fall, really. Now,
    when attempting to power up, the little blue ring of light comes on, the fan
    starts for a second, you hear the quick *slk* of the cd drive's eye move for
    a split second, then it all just shuts off again. No hard drive activity
    (that I can detect), no LCD lighting up; the whole process from touching the
    power button to it all turning off again is about 2 seconds.

    I tried re-seating the hard drive and unscrewing the majority of the covers
    to check connections, etc., could see no problems. No sounds of little bits
    and pieces being shaken around inside or anything.

    So is there any list of things that the symptom might lead me to check in
    succession? I'm in the process of taking the whole thing apart now, but I
    was hoping that maybe a jarring impact and then this specific symptom might
    enabe some kind soul to help me narrow things down a bit, ie. they recognize
    the power-up-to-instant-power-down behavior and it was a whatever plug that
    got de-saudered, etc. or even just a brief list of what COULD be the cause
    of this specifically, because in about 6 hours all I'm going to have is a
    mountain of tiny tiny screws and a big headache.

    Any help, advice, etc. would be GREATLY appreciated, and thanks for reading.

    Newbie Supreme, May 5, 2007

  2. If it were me I'd find one of those USB to Laptop HD adaptors and see if the
    drive is readable by another computer.

    Some are just a complete enclosure that only handle laptop sized drives.
    The one I use for diagnostic work like this is one of those adaptor cables
    (no case) that handle the laptop, IDE, and SATA drives. If you get the
    adaptor cable be sure to get one that includes an external power supply for
    powering up IDE or SATA drives.

    GlowingBlueMist, May 5, 2007

  3. Thanks for the reply, Mist. But wouldn't a bad drive return a "invalid
    disk" or "no dsk" or something error? I was thinking that since this thing
    powers down immediately, it's not even looking at a motherboard bios first
    or anything. Am I incorrect about that?

    Thanks again.

    Newbie Supreme, May 5, 2007
  4. Newbie Supreme

    Sano Guest

    Can't offer much help.

    Re-seat everything.

    I'd probably pull the hdd and plug (with appropriate adapter) it into
    another running comp. Comp stores'll have an adapter US$15-19. I
    think its a 40 pin to IDE.

    I've got lots-a-stuff, but a Coolmax CD-350-Combo covers a bunch of
    drives. USB interface.

    Sano, May 6, 2007
  5. Newbie Supreme

    paulmd Guest

    Most likely It was just the Ram that got bumped out of place.

    A bad or disconnected hard drive, floppy, cd, or screen would not
    cause instant death. (does'nt mean that they're not damaged, just that
    if so, your laptop also has
    other issues.)

    Next thing that could be jarred out of place and cause those symptoms
    is the processor.

    Also seen the built in wireless card come loose, and the laptop would
    not light up.

    A disconnected DC jack is a possibility you can test by putting a pen,
    or small screwdriver on the little pin and see if it wiggles. Gently.

    After that, I regret to inform you that you're probably looking at a
    motherboard replacement.

    paulmd, May 8, 2007