    Calculation speed and access to large data sets is primary.
    Graphics is secondary. Other general apps are no problem.

    Kal

    Kalman Rubinson, Oct 17, 2008

  2. Kalman Rubinson

    james Guest

    If the software she uses is multi-threaded, then look for a quad core
    notebook (rare). The laptop would likely run hot and have short battery
    life.

    http://www.slashgear.com/core-2-quad-coming-to-your-laptop-but-in-a-mobile-version-157976/

    Another way is to look for gamers' laptop. They have both fast CPU and fast
    graphics, and maybe back-lit keyboard.

    james, Oct 18, 2008

  3. Kalman Rubinson

    Don Guest

    If you buy a high end laptop you will get a faster processor, RAM, and
    bus speed. And you will also get high end graphics and probably good
    audio as well. If you buy high end then you will get the whole
    enchilada. My new HP Compaq Presario laptop might not meet your
    granddaughter's needs, but it will probably run rings around what she
    has now. So you may not need as high end a machine as you may think. I
    can't recommend a specific laptop but get one with three or even four
    gigabytes of RAM and at least a three hundred and twenty gigabyte hard
    drive. Try and get one with a 7200 RPM drive as opposed to a 5400 RPM
    drive. It may speed things up if she has to read and process lots of
    data. Good luck.

    Don, Oct 25, 2008