Laptop heats up and freezes at bootup

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Nicole, Apr 29, 2005.

  1. Nicole

    Nicole Guest

    I have an acer extensa 391c P133 laptop which performed
    flawlessly for many years. About a month ago, while
    I was in the middle of a direct cable transfer
    between this laptop and my desktop (which I had done for
    years), the laptop suddenly crashed. The computer has
    stopped functioning normally since. The PC generally just
    freezes up after a short time in the boot up process...
    both with Win95/98, MS-DOS and Linux; both booting from the
    hard drive, bootup floppies and CD-ROM drive.

    Now I have learned (through trial) that if I allow it to
    cool down, or even better, place it on a cold metal support
    and let it cool down, and also use a non-window OS such
    as DOS, I can make it last a lot longer... up to 10-15
    minutes.
    So apparently the problem is that it heats up and then
    it stops functioning.

    I would exclude a battery problem, because this behavior
    happens both when it is powered by the battery alone and
    when I use the external plug-in power supply with no
    battery in. Also not a faulty RAM problem, since I tried
    switching around simms and even tried with a new sodimm
    at the local store, with the same results.

    The computer does not have a CPU cooling fan, so that's out
    of the question as well.

    I know that if something got "fried" during that last parallel
    cable transfer a month ago, there is little that can be done...
    But perhaps the problem is of a different nature and can
    be fixed. Does anyone here have an idea of what the problem
    could be and how I could fix it?

    Thank you,
    Nicole

    Thanks,