    incorrect setting somewhere that is telling the laptop to switch to
    batteries after a few minutes or something.

    any help is greatly appreciated!

    kurrent, Mar 9, 2005

  2. kurrent

    Kurrent Guest

    just wanted to add in here that if i take the battery right out of the
    laptop, the front plug led green light comes on when plugged in, and
    will power on and boot into the BIOS with no problems. The laptop will
    stay on for as long as I let it sit at the BIOS without shutting off.
    After I exit the BIOS to resume booting into windows, the laptop will
    shutoff just after it begins to iniate loading windows. So, if i put
    the battery back in, it will boot up normally into windows then run at
    full power (on AC) for only a couple minutes then just switch back to
    batteries...even though the plug led is still lit up, indicating that
    the laptop itself is plugged in.

    Kurrent, Mar 9, 2005

  3. More like your power connection is weak. Or somthink! Or maybe the pixies
    are playing tricks.

    I'll get me coat!

    **SS**

    secret squiddle, Mar 9, 2005
  4. kurrent

    Quaoar Guest

    I suspect the AC adapter is failing under load. When in BIOS setup,
    there is no load. When booting into the OS, the laptop requires more
    power, and the AC adapter fails to supply at the correct voltage and the
    power board switches to battery. Battery charging is within the load
    capability of the adapter.

    Quaoar, Mar 10, 2005
  5. kurrent

    me/2 Guest

    On 9 Mar 2005 13:51:38 -0800, wrote:

    :>I am having a very strange problem with my Toshiba laptop right now.
    :>When the laptop is turned off and the power supply plugged in, the
    :>battery receives a charge and will charge up to full. When i turn my
    :>laptop on, for the first 3-4 minutes it will run on AC power then just
    :>automatically switch to batteries and ignore that the laptop is still
    :>plugged in. The adapter works just fine with my other laptop so I
    :>cannot figure out what is causing this and hoping there is some
    :>incorrect setting somewhere that is telling the laptop to switch to
    :>batteries after a few minutes or something.
    :>
    :>any help is greatly appreciated!

    You don't say what model you have but your symptoms are very common on the
    A60 and A70 series. It is caused by a bad battery which is some cases
    damages the power supply on the system board. In most cases replacing the
    battery fixes the problem. However, in your case, you say it won't even
    work with the battery removed so you're most likely also looking at a system
    board replacement. Apparently there was a bad batch of primarily 4300mah
    batteries produced for those 2 models. I've seen a lot of those 2 models
    with that issue over the last couple of months and in almost every case
    they've had the 4300mah batteries.

    Good luck,
    me/2

    me/2, Mar 10, 2005
  6. kurrent

    Kurrent Guest

    Hi, thanks for your guys' feedback. I have tried a different adapter
    and the problem still arises. The model number of my Toshiba is infact
    an A70. When you say system board replacement, do you mean replacing
    the whole motherboard inside? I have had this laptop for 1 year and not
    sure about my warranty after 1 year so I believe I may be out of luck.

    Kurrent, Mar 10, 2005
  7. kurrent

    Kurrent Guest

    Well, I think I have figured out the problem...using the toshiba power
    management utility, i tried lowering the screen brightness and cpu
    power to mendium...and voila, the laptop runs from AC power and charges
    the battery simultaneously. When I plug my mouse in, the laptop failed
    to run off AC power and switced to batteries again...so i lowered the
    screen brightness and cpu power to 'low' and voila, it worked again
    with the mouse plugged in. So I believe my problem is definitely a
    faulty adapter that is not giving out enough charge for my laptop, and
    am going to seek a factory replacement for it now.

    Kurrent, Mar 10, 2005
  8. kurrent

    Good Man Guest

    but wait - didn't you just post that a different adapter gave you the same
    result?

    Good Man, Mar 16, 2005