    precaution against this foreign card it just can't remember.

    what am i supposed to do? keep taking out the card when i'm not in a
    wifi setting? and why is the machine so forgetful? thanks

    tariq.1.rahim, Mar 12, 2005

  2. tariq.1.rahim

    Quaoar Guest

    With the card installed, remove it from device manager and the software
    from add/remove programs. Shut Down. Remove the card. Find user
    manual and review the installation instructions. Typically, the driver
    and software are installed before the card is inserted the first time.

    Quaoar, Mar 12, 2005

  3. that's the dark screen warning i've been getting after my successful
    2nd day of wifi card use. "attempted to write to read-only memory."

    the card is a D-Link air plus. is it a piece of crap?

    tariq.1.rahim, Mar 12, 2005
  4. thanks for your advice.
    I did this procedure the first time and have done it a second time. Now
    I am wildly reluctant to turn off the computer, because like groundhog
    day it might forget that i have such hardware.

    Since I properly installed driver and software off the cd-rom before
    inserting the card the first time, why would the machine develop
    alzheimer's?

    This raises my next question (thanks for your patience): should I
    remove this card when I'm at home using hi-speed cable? I was hoping
    that the card would work better if I inserted it only at the
    restaurant, where the computer has no choice but to track the card.

    tariq.1.rahim, Mar 12, 2005
  5. tariq.1.rahim

    Quaoar Guest

    The standard thing to do is to open Network Connections and disable the
    unused cards. The wired network adapter is disabled when using
    wireless to prevent the "network cable" unplugged warning. Disable the
    wireless when directly connected to the modem to prevent the wireless
    from constantly hunting for a connection.

    Quaoar, Mar 13, 2005
  6. much appreciate this. it sucks to build up knowledge so slowly, but
    helpful strangers ease the path.

    i wouldn't be pursuing this route, but comcast is unbearable and
    arrogant and you know the story.

    tariq.1.rahim, Mar 13, 2005
  7. tariq.1.rahim

    Woody Guest

    Have you checked for newer firmware and driver updates?

    Woody, Mar 13, 2005
  8. do i need to, since i bought the card only 2 weeks ago?

    tariq.1.rahim, Mar 14, 2005
  9. tariq.1.rahim

    Lars Guest

    Probably not.

    That is the kind of random suggestion offered by people
    who do not really know what the problem is.
    When you have wasted time on that, to no avail, his next
    idea will be that you flash your Bios.

    I have a couple of D-link AirPlus Extreme G+ (DWL-G650+),
    and I did have severel problems with them originally.
    When you reinstall you must make sure that you do not
    end up having more than one installation of the software,
    otherwise Windows will be confused.

    I don't remember exactly how I eventually straightened
    my installations out. But I must admit I have never adopted
    the habit of installing software and drivers first. I plug in
    the hardware, fire up Windows and then install the software.

    Contrary to my normal habits I eventually let Windows install
    the accompanying software on the partition where Windows
    itself is. I mildly suggest you do the same.

    Lars
    Stockholm

    Lars, Mar 14, 2005
  10. right now mine does say "...installation 2" in network connections,
    but does not show the original installation.

    will it cause problems?

    have a couple of D-link AirPlus Extreme G+ (DWL-G650+),

    tariq.1.rahim, Mar 21, 2005
  11. tariq.1.rahim

    Lars Guest

    If it works it is not a problem. Windows does remember
    installations long after they are gone and will dole out
    "number so and so" on second or third attempt to install.

    I have had many modem # 2 or Dial-up XXX #2 with no
    ill effects.

    Do you still have problems with the D-link?

    Lars
    Stockholm

    Lars, Mar 21, 2005
  12. thanks for asking. right now i can't really tell /bc i haven't gone to
    a wireless location since last week. have been operating from home.

    tariq.1.rahim, Mar 22, 2005