    significantly smoother and shinier. Is there any way to prevent this kind
    of wear and tear except by not using my computer as much?

    - 2fast

    2fast, Apr 12, 2004

  2. 2fast

    Aaron Guest

    Get an external keyboard.

    Aaron

    Aaron, Apr 12, 2004

  3. 2fast

    2fast Guest

    Yup, that would do it, but usually I am everywhere but home when I use my
    computer. Do you think that it's body oil or just friction that's causing
    such shine?

    - 2fast

    2fast, Apr 12, 2004
  4. 2fast

    Cosmin N. Guest

    It's friction, so there isn't much you can do about it... But I wouldn't
    worry too much about it, since I doubt it affects the keyboard
    functionality.

    Cosmin

    Cosmin N., Apr 12, 2004
  5. 2fast

    Craig Guest

    You can use a mild solution of windex and wipe the surface of the keys
    clean. The smoothness is caused from the friction from your finger tips
    and oils from your skin. Or if nothing else replace the keys if possible..

    Craig, Apr 13, 2004
  6. Yup, that would do it, but usually I am everywhere but home when I use my
    Well gee, look at the keys. You'll see that the factory finish is kind
    of sandblasted, with a rough surface. As you type, you wear off the
    protrusions in that rough surface and you buff it shiny. You can clean
    the oils off the key but it will still be shiny in the spots you
    press. For instance, I mostly press the spacebar with my right thumb,
    so there is a big shiny spot on the RHS of it (on every computer I
    own), and a less-noticeable spot on the LHS where I press less
    frequently. Z, X and Caps Lock don't get much wear and therefore look
    almost new, but a key like E or N which is pressed very frequently is
    totally shiny.

    The only way to restore a factory look to your keyboard is to replace
    it, but you'll very quickly see the shiny look come back.

    Lewin A.R.W. Edwards, Apr 13, 2004
  7. My shiniest keys are F and J - I wonder if it's because I spend so much time
    about to start typing and not actually doing it...

    Duncan.

    Duncan James Murray, Apr 15, 2004