    recomondations, i'd appreciate it. also how are AMD processors o
    battery life? i hear they are good processors but i also need lon
    battery life. thanks

    gibsonone, Feb 23, 2006

  2. I don't think "any" laptop/notebook will be very good for editing
    movies.... Whatever you get, you'll probably need an external
    USB-connected hard drive, and I'd recommend a large* gell-cell 12v
    battery and the appropriate 12v adapter for your notebook.

    * by large, I mean the kind that you can use to jump-start a car.
    Charlie Hoffpauir

    Charlie Hoffpauir, Feb 23, 2006

  3. gibsonone

    Dan Guest

    I've heard a similar recommendation a while ago regarding the 12v battery
    used for jump-starting a car. However, I remember someone else mentioning
    that using it for long periods of time to power a laptop could end up
    damaging it (slow discharge vs. giving a large jolt to jumpstart a car).
    Could anyone confirm this?

    Dan, Feb 23, 2006
  4. gibsonone

    Phluge Guest

    Not so. A twelve volt battery is a twelve volt battery and the component
    draws only the current it needs. There are auto-battery CHARGERS you can
    adjust to put out extreme amps, but not the batteries.

    The best type of battery for longevity of use would be a Deep-Cycle one
    (also made in gel) that is designed to be drawn upon for extended periods ,
    even with large motors such as fishing trollers. I have one (not gel) that
    runs all of my boat electronics as well as a trolling motor equivalent to
    3HP for days on the lake. Costs about $100US.

    You could use an inverter plugged into the battery --an inverter changes DC
    to AC, so you could plug in your household AC connector, but you would end
    up using some of the precious battery life going up in exchanged heat
    energy --better to use this in a car cigarette lighter.

    There are combo car-jumper types you can buy with DC outlets and include an
    inverter as well (sometimes radio, flashlight, and other trinkets.) I have
    one of those that has lasted years --I plug it into my cigarette lighter
    when I need to remove the car battery so it will keep the programming in my
    radio (If it surged power like the poster mentioned it would certainly fry
    my tiny radio fuse, but it doesn't) as well as a car-jumper, and a portable
    TV.

    Pflu

    Phluge, Feb 24, 2006