Laptop needs urgent assistance - HELP ME PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by aj182z, Sep 14, 2004.

  1. aj182z

    aj182z Guest

    A few days ago I let my kid brother borrow my laptop - and thinking he
    was a wizz-kid he installed W2K over the top of ME

    Here's the breakdown:
    Laptop: Toshiba Satellite 1800-400
    OS: Was ME Now W2K Prof

    As the drivers are not compatible with W2K nothing appears to work
    correctly, display, programs, etc

    I have a system restore CD-ROM that came with the laptop, however I
    cannot boot from this disk now as W2K is installed.

    I have tried everything I can think of - any help you can give me
    would be great.

    Thanks in advance

    ==============

    aj182z, Sep 14, 2004

  2. aj182z

    CeeBee Guest

    -spam.invalid (aj182z) wrote in
    comp.sys.laptops:

    Try to cut down the multiple postings. At this moment you're clogging up
    the newsgroup with six messages all the same.

    Try changing the boot sequence in your BIOS (hit F2 after start) and
    enable booting via CD ROM.

    --
    CeeBee

    Archer: "Houdini could get out of this."
    T'Pol: "Perhaps you should invite him on your next mission."

    Picard: "Mr. Worf, do you know Gilbert and Sullivan?"
    Worf: "No sir, I have not had a chance to meet all the new crew members
    since I have been back."

    CeeBee, Sep 14, 2004

  3. COULD YOU POST THIS A FEW MORE TIMES? SOMEONE OUT THERE MAY HAVE MISSED IT
    troubleshooting newsgroups.

    Bruce Markowitz, Sep 14, 2004
  4. aj182z

    JBW Guest

    people look at the message tag. it could have been that howtofixcomputers'
    bot f'd up and posted multiple times, not him.

    1. try holding down different keys at boot -- ESC, DEL, F2, F5, and F8 seem
    to be popular ones

    2. i had the same experience with a satellite 1150 not long ago. came with
    ME, loaded 2000 on it (reformatted, though, not over top). the drivers you
    need are on toshiba's site somewhere, but I can't remember. even though
    Toshiba says that those older models didn't support 2000, they do have
    drivers for that it. go on groups.google.com and search for satellite 1150
    2000 2k drivers, something like that; but only after checking toshiba's
    website to see if they're straight-up listed there first.

    2a. while you're there, get a bios update

    3. make your kid brother at least sit in the room with you if not help you
    do this so he learns to "leave well enough alone"

    jake

    troubleshooting newsgroups.

    JBW, Sep 16, 2004