    wired network, as the WiFi connection cannot setup its IP. How can I
    get Windows XP to use the wired connection when present, and only the
    WiFi as a fallback? Thanks.

    M.H., Jul 23, 2005

  2. M.H.

    * * Chas Guest

    | I have an IBM ThinkPad T42 running Windows XP SP2, and I have two
    | network adapters:
    |
    | 1. Intel PRO/1000 MT
    | 2. Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG
    |
    | I have the adapters set to IP xxx.xxx.x.3 and xxx.xxx.x.4,
    respectively.
    | For network bindings, I have the LAN set first, then WiFi. The
    | problem is, when the laptop is in its dock, where it should have a
    wired
    | connection, it uses WiFi instead. If I set both adapters to the same
    | IP, such as IP xxx.xxx.x.3, and the laptop is in its dock, it uses the
    | wired network, as the WiFi connection cannot setup its IP. How can I
    | get Windows XP to use the wired connection when present, and only the
    | WiFi as a fallback? Thanks.

    You can manually enable and disable both adapters. Also, there is a
    bridge feature that should control the adapters. Right click on My
    Networks (or whatever the fools in Redmond call it) desktop icon and
    choose Properties. Look for the Wired, Wireless and Bridge icons and
    right click on them to check their status.

    Chas.

    * * Chas, Jul 23, 2005

  3. M.H.

    eM eL Guest

    Use IBM Access Connections to configure your connections instead of using windows
    network setup (and uncheck the "connect automatically" property for the wireless
    connection.)

    eM eL, Jul 23, 2005
  4. M.H.

    Clark Guest

    Have you tried Network Connections-Advanced-Advanced Settings . I don't
    know is that will do it, but it looks promising.

    Clark

    Clark, Jul 23, 2005
  5. M.H.

    M.H. Guest

    Ok, I think using IBM Access Connections is the best solution, and what
    I was using previously. However, I switched over to letting Windows
    handle my connections, and I can't figure out how to re-enable IBM
    Access Connections. If I double-click on the "Wireless Connection
    Status" (I think this is a part of IBM Access Connections) in my system
    tray, I only have three buttons, "Find WLAN," "Modify WLAN Settings"
    (grayed out), and "Close." How do I wrench control of my connections
    from Windows and give them back to IBM Access Connections? Thanks!

    M.H., Jul 23, 2005
  6. M.H.

    eM eL Guest

    Go to Start | Network Connections
    Click on the Wireless Connection and choose Properties
    Go to the Advanced tab and uncheck the "Use Windows to configure my wireless network
    setting" box. Click on OK.
    Click once on the IBM Access Connections icon in the tray and choose Launch IBM
    Access Connections.
    Click on Manage profiles and go from there.
    Good luck!

    eM eL, Jul 23, 2005
  7. M.H.

    M.H. Guest

    Thanks, that worked! Although the "Use Windows to configure my wireless
    setting box" was under the "Wireless Networks" tab, not "Advanced."
    Since IBM Access Connections was handling my WiFi previously, all I had
    to do was disable Windows from handling it and IBM AC took over from there.

    M.H., Jul 24, 2005
  8. M.H.

    M.H. Guest

    Actually, that didn't work. Also, IBM Access Connections seems to be
    for manual switching only. So I've gone back to Windows, but now I
    think I have the same issue...grr...

    M.H., Jul 24, 2005
  9. M.H.

    M.H. Guest

    I figured out a Windows snafu. If you have a wired and WiFi connection,
    disconnect from the wired, it switches over to WiFi. Then when you
    redock the laptop, it still uses the WiFi.

    M.H., Jul 24, 2005
  10. M.H.

    Guest Guest

    Pop a cmd box. Run

    c:\>route /?

    Play with the IF (interface), and possibly metric.
    When you get it switching the way you want, write
    it up in a pair of .cmd scripts, one to switch to
    wifi, one to switch to ethernet. IFs may not be
    simply 1 for wired, 2 for wifi, ... it may be 1 for
    wired, 10003 for wifi, or whatever. There may be
    other, easier ways.

    MH- [Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:26:29 -0400]:

    Guest, Jul 24, 2005
  11. M.H.

    eM eL Guest

    I switch between a variety of wired and wireless connections several times a day and
    don't have this problem.
    There are many other settings in IBM Connection Manager, for instance:
    Automatically Use the adapter with the fastest available network
    connection/Automatically use the adapter with the highest defined priority level.
    Pick one.
    And
    Disconnect from the wireless network and turn off any wireless radios associated with
    this profile when I switch to a different location profile.

    (all on the Adapter tab.)

    Investigate also the settings on the Wireless tab .
    Perhaps you need to upgrade your Connection Manager..?

    Good luck!

    eM eL, Jul 24, 2005
  12. M.H.

    M.H. Guest

    Can you go into the Bridge feature in more detail? I was told by IBM to
    set both adapters to dynamic IP, set the bridge to static IP (my network
    is static), and that should work. When I rebooted the PC though, I
    couldn't connect to the network, as it stated that the static IP for the
    bridge was already in use by the network. Could have been each network
    adapter fighting over the single IP address. Should I have an IP
    address set for each network adapter as well as the bridge? Thanks.

    M.H., Jul 24, 2005
  13. M.H.

    M.H. Guest

    I'm not currently using IBM Access Connections. My understanding, from
    what I was told by IBM tech support, is that you must manually switch
    between wired and WiFI when using IBM Access Connections. In any case,
    IBM Access Connections is fiendishly difficult to configure properly,
    and the Indian or whatever he was wasn't any help. IBM Access
    Connections is the latest release, 3.71. Although the only way I can
    figure to get into the thing is to use the "Access IBM" button, do a
    keyword search, and open it from the Help Page. So it's not what you'd
    call user-friendly at all.

    M.H., Jul 25, 2005
  14. M.H.

    Gary L. Guest

    Actually, you can have Access Connections automatically switch between
    network adapters under the conditions you define, if you set it up
    correctly. My system will turn off the wireless radio and switch to
    Ethernet if it detects an Ethernet connection. If I disconnect the
    Ethernet it will then turn on the wireless and connect to my 802.11g
    network (and prompts me for permission to do so). If I boot it without
    an Ethernet connection, it will automatically try to connect to the
    wireless networks I have configured, according to the criteria I have
    defined. It will also switch default printers, change your browser home
    page, run applications, etc. according to the location detected. A few
    minutes of experimentation was all that was required to figure out the
    set-up. All in all, I think it is a pretty nice piece of work and I have
    had a pretty good experience with it.

    Gary L., Jul 25, 2005
  15. M.H.

    eM eL Guest

    If so, your ThinkPad seems to have big configuration problems. Normally, Access
    Connections loads on startup. Edit your registry (or use msconfig) to add
    C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities\QCTRAY.EXE
    and
    C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities\QCWLICON.EXE
    (assuming, that your programs are in default locations)

    Or - better - use the IBM software installer to reinstall/update all your IBM
    utilities and drivers.

    I used to manage 1000 + of very mobile ThinkPad users and Access Connections worked
    fine for us to manage a multitude wired and wireless connections without any problems
    you've described.

    eM eL, Jul 25, 2005
  16. M.H.

    GomJabbar Guest

    (1) IBM Access Connections is not fiendishly difficult to configure.
    There is a profile wizard for creating as many location profiles as you
    want, whether wired (ethernet) or wireless (WiFi).

    (2) You do not need to manually switch between wired and WiFi when
    using Access Connections. Simply click on "Location Switching" on the
    top menu bar and click on "Switch Ethernet and Wireless Location
    Profiles Automatically"

    (3) To get into "the thing", go to Start > All Programs > Access IBM >
    IBM Access Connections. On the top menu bar, click on "Options" then
    on "Global Settings", and check the box for "Show wireless status icon
    in task tray". (Note: you must be logged on as Administrator to change
    some of the settings.) Now you will have an icon in the task tray at
    the lower right of the screen. Just click on the icon to open the
    program.

    GomJabbar, Jul 26, 2005