  1. I have an older Dell Latitude D620 laptop. It went dark in the middle of me using it. When I press the power button, the power lioght flashes. That's it.

    Could anyone provide advice as to where to start diagnosing it?

    Thanks in advance.

    alanthomas062, Apr 17, 2013

  2. Try pulling out the RAM sticks and putting them back in again,
    making sure they are firmly back in place.

    If it is/was emitting a funny smell, it could be that a bad
    capacitor leaked inside and will need to be replaced.

    Computer Nerd Kev, Apr 17, 2013

  3. alanthomas062

    Bob_Villa Guest

    Have you removed the battery and tried running it with just the AC adapter? (defective battery)

    Bob_Villa, Apr 17, 2013
  4. alanthomas062

    Happy Oyster Guest

    "Flashing" is a complicated word. What does "flash" mean? The old
    self-test of the IBM PC (called POST = Power On Self Test) made
    beep-tones on the speaker. The were acoustical "flashes", willfully made
    to give signals. But is there something like that for the POWER-light?

    Think of something totally different: power is switched on, voltage
    builds up - bang, a short-circuit drains the current to such a high
    level that the power-supply shuts down. Power is down, so it starts
    again, voltage buils up - bang... This I guess to be the most common
    cause for the flashing. The question is: where the hell is the
    short-circuit? OR is it really a short-circuit? Might as well be a
    problem with the power-supply, which does not deliver enough current
    anymore and breaks down.

    What I would do:

    1. take off the battery

    Try.

    2. test with another power-supply.

    3. Depending on how much "rest-value" the dead computer has: take a
    screw-driver and have a look inside the computer.

    Happy Oyster, Apr 28, 2013
  5. alanthomas062

    ED Guest

    You can get the Service Manual here:
    http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/Product/latitude-d620

    ED, Apr 29, 2013
  6. It's either a really fast guy in a red suit or one of those
    girls at Mardi Gras trying to collect beads.
    PC's used to "flash" the num lock and scroll lock LEDs. Now a days
    most laptops flash that little line of LEDs at the top of the keyboard in
    various patterns to keep you amused while they boot.
    There ya go! Just like at Mardi Gras! Hey, nice connectors.

    the wharf rat, Apr 30, 2013