Laptop requires adding to domain again and again

Discussion in 'Dell' started by CJC, Nov 24, 2006.

  1. CJC

    CJC Guest

    Hi there,

    Not sure if this is the correct location to post but hopefully someone
    can help me.

    I have a number of Dell latitudes D410 with docking stations (how I
    hate them) and for some reason two of them keep requiring to be added
    to the domain again on a frequent basis and I have looked through most
    of the settings and I cant seem to find why it is happening.

    It works perfectly for a while logging onto the domain then bang cannot
    connect to ### domain, it is not available.

    I don't really want to rebuild them so was wondering if anyone has came
    across this in the same or similar situations.

    If not would you expect it to be software, hardware or more
    specifically due to the stupid docking stations.

    Both laptops are XP sp2.

    Also one of the D410's monitor just blanks out for no apparent reason
    and doesn't come back on without turning off cold and back on again.

    Many thanks for your help.

    CJC, Nov 24, 2006

  2. CJC

    S.Lewis Guest

    My first suggestion would be to place the affected (failing) notebooks on
    known-good port replicators where the problem isn't occurring.

    Conversely, you could take the laptop from the working replicator to the
    affected station.

    This might help determine if it is the laptop or the replicator(s)
    themselves.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Nov 24, 2006

  3. CJC

    CJC Guest

    Sorry Stew,

    Not used to the term replicator. Can you put into a different context
    to help me understand.

    Many thanks,

    CJC, Nov 24, 2006
  4. CJC

    Notan Guest

    Docking station.

    Notan

    (Answering for Stew, as his lazy butt is probably still in bed! <g>)

    Notan, Nov 24, 2006
  5. CJC

    S.Lewis Guest

    Guilty as charged and ^^^what he said^^^. Docking station.

    I'd want to see if the problem "follows" the notebooks or stays with a
    particular dock station(s).

    S.Lewis, Nov 24, 2006
  6. CJC

    CJC Guest

    Cheers for that, once the user gets back I'll try that out. Might be a
    good week before it happens again. So please keep an eye out for my
    update on the problem.

    Obviously if it continues then its related to the docking station, but
    if it doesn't what would you then suggest.

    Thanks

    CJC, Nov 24, 2006
  7. CJC

    S.Lewis Guest

    In my limited knowledge, it would suggest perhaps a software configuration
    problem (network settings) on the involved notebooks OR possibly ethernet
    hardware issues on same, the former being more likely (as a bad/intermittent
    NIC would likely show itself no matter the dock station.)

    Hard to speak to specifics from this distance.

    Post back. There are others here with far more experience than me in this
    area I'd bet.

    I do use both a D600 with a dock in a corporate (domain) environment at work
    and have had periodic issues after re-imaging and whatnot.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Nov 24, 2006
  8. CJC

    CJC Guest

    Hi there,

    Yesterday I had the laptop and tried logging in and got same error so I
    looked at the logs and it had something about autoenrollment and usernv
    ( i think ) errors.

    Looked into autoenrollment and it appears this usually appears when
    there is no Active directory and to turn it off. Well we do so I
    didn't turn it off but deleted the associated key in AD so a new one is
    generated and hopefully rectified it, but it didn't.

    I also released the IP and got another one plus statically assigned DNS
    IP's.

    Plus I put on a different docking station and all with no joy.

    So I just re-added it to the domain and worked straight away.

    Does this help anyone else to see what I should now try, or should I go
    for the sledgehammer.

    Thanks,

    CJC, Nov 28, 2006
  9. CJC

    S.Lewis Guest

    Not sure, but it plainly suggests to me a networking/software issue with the
    machine itself rather than any problem with the dock(s).

    Who images the systems or are they standard factory images that are
    modified?

    Might need a new image (after saving appropriate user profiles and
    information) or a least a review of any needed punch lists for settings to
    that specific network.

    If that's the sledgehammer ( a reinstall ), then you might consider it.
    You've got a fairly specific problem within a corporate network that will be
    pretty difficult to diagnose from a distance.

    S.Lewis, Nov 28, 2006