Laptop shuts down after connecting power supply

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Tomasz, Mar 8, 2010.

  1. Tomasz

    Tomasz Guest

    Hi there,
    i am trying to diagnose a problem with my Philips Freevents X69
    Notebook. Problem occurs after connecting external power supply. If it
    is connected, computer shuts down after few seconds - few minutes
    after operating system (Windows XP) is loaded (user don't need to log
    on). Different power supplies were tested with the same effect. Shut
    down goes immediately without shutting down operating system.
    I tried to run linux live cd - the same problem, but occurs before
    installed. And it worked then. But confuses me that it happens with
    linux too ... Anyway - could it be OS fault ?
    Other facts - i checked RAM, HDDand visible condensers - those all
    looks in order. Shut down also does not happen when BIOS is turned on.
    Notebook powered with battery only works also without a single
    problem :)

    Thanks in advance for any advice ;-)

    Tomasz, Mar 8, 2010

  2. Tomasz

    Tomasz Guest

    Update:

    I don't know why i didn't try it before -> in safe mode laptop also
    works fine without shutting down itself. Uncorrect Windows XP battery
    driver?

    Tomasz, Mar 8, 2010

  3. Tomasz

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    Tomasz typed on Mon, 8 Mar 2010 11:43:08 -0800 (PST):
    You didn't mention what happens running it on AC with the battery
    removed. Does this work, or does it still shuts down?

    BillW50, Mar 9, 2010
  4. Tomasz

    John Doue Guest

    This would not explain the behavior you described with Linux but I
    suggest taking one thing at a time and trying to solve the problem in
    XP. I personally never encountered this behavior. My first thinking is,
    could be linked to the battery charging process. Have you tried running
    the machine without battery?

    John Doue, Mar 10, 2010
  5. Tomasz

    John Doue Guest

    Sorry Bill, you were faster, I had not seen your post. Meeting of minds ...

    John Doue, Mar 10, 2010
  6. Tomasz

    Tomasz Guest

    Yeah, without battery it also shuts down if AC is connected. I tried
    to find a link with charging process, but i failed.
    So far:

    it doesn't shuts down when AC is connected when:
    a) it's running in XP safe mode.
    b) it's running on battery alone.
    c) it's running in bios.

    in normal mode it is shutting down always when AC is connected, BUT if
    i am warming it a bit in safe mode and then i reboot it with normal
    mode then it works for hours without shutting down.
    It also shuts down on linux live cd during system boot.

    My friend electrician changed two condensers on the mainboard we
    suspected - but it didn't change anything.

    I have no idea what's happening with this system :/

    Thanks for any tip :/

    Tomasz, Mar 11, 2010
  7. Tomasz

    Bob Villa Guest

    Can you go into Control Panel, Power Options,Power Schemes and say
    "Always On"?

    bob

    Bob Villa, Mar 11, 2010
  8. Tomasz

    Tomasz Guest

    Yeah, that's not working. It shuts down itself immediately, OS is not
    closing. It works like you would immediately cut off power from
    notebook.

    Tomasz, Mar 12, 2010
  9. Tomasz

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    Tomasz typed on Fri, 12 Mar 2010 02:00:26 -0800 (PST):
    Well then it must be the power regulator circuits on the motherboard
    unfortunately.

    BillW50, Mar 12, 2010
  10. Tomasz

    John Doue Guest

    Tomasz,

    Bill is probably right. One thing I have not seen you mention is, did
    you try a different battery? Not that the battery appears to be at
    fault, but since the process of charging the battery is involved
    apparently, why not look at all the angles?

    John Doue, Mar 12, 2010
  11. Tomasz

    Bob Villa Guest

    Yes, John may be on to something...isn't there a chip on those "smart"
    batteries...and all those multiple connectors. Could that chip be the
    villain here!

    Bob Villa, Mar 12, 2010
  12. Tomasz

    Tomasz Guest

    No, it does not matter if battery is plugged, if AC is connected then
    notebook shuts down in normal mode. Battery presence does not matter.

    Tomasz, Mar 15, 2010