    backups/clones. Guess it'd become easier after you've
    done it a few times.

    Jack Mac

    Jack Mac, Sep 15, 2004

  2. Timothy Daniels

    Ben Myers Guest

    Yes, you've got it right, assuming that the operating system has respectable USB
    support, namely Windows 2000 or some flavor of Windows XP, which is my
    assumption in making the following suggestions.

    Make sure your cloning software marks the clone drive's Windows partition as
    bootable.

    On a fairly contemporary Dell notebook (and others as well), make sure you copy
    the hidden diagnostic partition first, so you'll need a commercial product to do
    so.

    If you don't copy the diagnostic partition at all, you'll need to edit the boot
    disk info to refer to partition 1 (Windows NT systems count partition numbers up
    beginning with 1) rather than partition 2... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 04:51:11 GMT, "Brian K" <iibntgyea4_

    Ben Myers, Sep 15, 2004

  3. Timothy Daniels

    Ben Myers Guest

    Tim,

    I wish I could give you a brand name for the USB-IDE converter I use, but its
    yet another one of those stupid anonymous Taiwanese companies that do not put
    their brand name on their products, because they don't want to be bothered (or
    are linguistically unable) to support the product. This company ends up
    screwing itself, because it has a neat all-purpose product and no brand-name
    recognition.

    The box is light blue with splashy graphics. The kit does include an external
    2.5" drive housing plus adapters for 44-pin notebook standard drives and 40-pin
    desktop drives (hard drive, CD-ROM, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW).

    To clone a drive, I do not bother to put the drive in the external housing. It
    is not necessary. But it would be a good idea for more permanent use as an
    external drive... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 15, 2004
  4. Timothy Daniels

    Ben Myers Guest

    True. VERY unlikely today. But then, why roll the dice when there is a
    guaranteed 100% solution to the problem as stated by the OP.
    The potholes being???? How about some definite information based on real-life
    experience???? I agree that if I was driving down the road and hit a pothole
    while cloning the drive with my notebook plugged into the car's cigarette
    lighter, THAT would be a pothole to avoid... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 15, 2004

  5. Thanks. I had pictured a D-Bay as an unused bay in the laptop.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Sep 15, 2004

  6. Thanks. My mind is just now getting out of the desktop mode.

    Is this specific to laptops? In my desktop, as long as the
    new clone is powered up for the first time without the original HD
    connected, subsequent boots have the "other systems" (i.e. the
    ones that weren't booted) as just other "local disks" with their file
    systems fully visible and accessible for reads and writes. And
    with the boot.ini file in the HD that is selected by the BIOS
    pointing to all the bootable partitions on both of the HDs, I
    can select which partition boots using Win XP's multi-boot
    feature. I had assumed one could do this with a laptop, too.
    Not true?

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Sep 15, 2004

  7. OK. I was picturing an "adapter" as being a pair of
    adapter *brackets* or a removable tray that allows one
    to put a laptop HD in a desktop. Apparently, cooling is
    adequate for a laptop HD just sitting on a desk - no
    fan blowing on it necessary?

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Sep 15, 2004

  8. I strongly suspect the same manufacturer sells the same product
    to various other "manufacturers" in boxes having having the other
    "manufacturer's" names. The same thing seems to be done with
    round cables and fans and drive caddies and other after-market
    homebuilder and hobbyist hardware.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Sep 15, 2004
  9. Timothy Daniels

    Markeau Guest

    Right ... you would probably also need to get the 2.5"-to-3.5" cable
    adapter and adapter brackets when putting the laptop drive in the
    DualLink

    This place has some adapters plus the first item looks like exactly
    what you were looking for:
    http://www.baber.com/drives/internal_hard_drives/laptops/conversionkit.htm
    http://www.cablesnmor.com/hard-drive-converter.html

    Markeau, Sep 16, 2004
  10. Timothy Daniels

    Sparky Guest

    This sounds both complicated & expensive. My IBM ThinkPad has an
    "Ultrabay", integral with the unit, which takes a variety of peripherals
    (it came with a DVD/CD-RW unit). I bought a HDD Ultrabay adapter for
    $45, which works great.

    Sparky, Sep 16, 2004
  11. As I interpret your description, there is a slot in the
    Thinkpad which accomodates an adapter and a laptop
    hard drive, and the adapter converts between USB2
    and EIDE. Is that right? Is the adapter an IBM
    product or 3rd party?

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Sep 16, 2004
  12. Timothy Daniels

    Sparky Guest

    Adapter's made (marketed, anyway) by IBM, no USB involved - it's an
    internal EIDE device, just like the DVD drive. This is what I bought for
    my R40:

    http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/s...Id=1888480&storeId=1&langId=-1&catalogId=-840

    It works great - it's funny at first to have 2 HDDs in a laptop, but
    cloning the C: HDD is a snap, of course.

    Sparky, Sep 16, 2004
  13. Timothy Daniels

    Sparky Guest

    Right, it's much like the bay for the battery and one of the
    possibilities for the Ultrabay is for a 2nd battery to maximize
    computing time while on battery.

    2nd battery:

    http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/s...Id=1888468&storeId=1&langId=-1&catalogId=-840

    View of Ultrabay:

    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-45902
    It's also possible to put any HDD in an external case & use it as a USB
    device (be sure to have USB2 on your laptop). No need in this case to
    use a 2.5" HDD - both the drives & cases are more expensive. The 3.5"
    HDDs & cases are pretty inexpensive.

    The 2nd HDD in your laptop is ideal, of course, if you want to upgrade
    the laptop to a bigger HDD.

    Sparky, Sep 16, 2004
  14. Timothy Daniels

    Sparky Guest

    It is, but it depends on Ghost / Partition Magic / etc. supporting a
    USB2 device. With Ghost2003 you have to configure it to include the USB2
    drivers - not a big deal, but if you don't do it, you're in for a very
    frustrating time because Ghost won't see the USB HDD.

    Sparky, Sep 16, 2004
  15. Dell does sell modular drives that install in the modular bay of
    notebook computers. They are also USB drives, and can be used
    externally to the computer.

    Larry Caldwell, Sep 16, 2004
  16. Timothy Daniels

    Markeau Guest

    See the first item at link below ...
    http://www.baber.com/drives/internal_hard_drives/laptops/conversionkit.htm

    Markeau, Sep 16, 2004
  17. Timothy Daniels

    Ben Myers Guest

    This is one occasion where a drive cloning utility (e.g. Seagate's Seatools)
    that runs under Windows may be the best bet. Windows will see the external
    drive. The downside is that the Windows-based utility may crap out completely
    if and when it encounters some data that is hopelessly messed up by bad physical
    sectors. This can be a definite pitfall or pothole (Ron!) in cloning a drive
    with bad sectors... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 16, 2004

  18. That's just what I'm looking for! Do you know if the equivalent
    can be found in other makes of laptop PCs?

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Sep 16, 2004
  19. Timothy Daniels, Sep 16, 2004
  20. Timothy Daniels

    Ben Myers Guest

    The $149 kit from baber states very clearly that it uses a PCMCIA card which
    provides the access to an IDE notebook drive hooked up to it. The pros and cons
    for this approach are about the same as for a USB-IDE converter kit. The price
    seems high, but, then, I guess I don't know how much a copy of Ghost costs,
    either.

    As for SATA on a notebook computer, not yet. Possibly in a year or two. The
    speed advantage of SATA is outweighed by the extra heat generated by fast
    spinning SATA drives... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 16, 2004