    don't see too many answers that say how (and with what
    utility software) it can be done.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Sep 22, 2004

  2. How does this help the OP clone his hard drive? [Yes, some versions
    of Ghost will use TCP/IP either natively or in a client/server mode to
    image drives, but that's either slow, expensive, or both, and doesn't
    help the OP with his "it died on the road" scenario.]

    William P.N. Smith, Sep 22, 2004

  3. Timothy Daniels

    Dick Silk Guest

    using a network to backup a drive is relatively easy EXCEPT for the drive
    with the OS on it, which is a bit trickier:

    This would require wiping / reloading the OS to the boot sectors, then
    copying everything else back over. *It *should* work* in non-critical
    installations.

    True, this does NOT work in every situation.

    Dick Silk, Sep 24, 2004
  4. Not with Ghost. It boots DOS, and images your drive. Network options
    are TCP/IP master/slave in Personal Edition, plus client/server mode
    in Enterprise Edition (10-client minimum). Works well if not terribly
    quickly, and doesn't require rebuilding the machine to some
    intermediate state before restoring the system disk.

    William P.N. Smith, Sep 24, 2004

  5. Have you any ideal if cloning and booting via Ethernet are
    part of Ghost v.9?

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Sep 24, 2004
  6. Can't say for sure, I use the Enterprise Edition. I know the previous
    Personal Editions did, and their WWWebsite isn't very helpful, maybe
    try the knowledge base?

    William P.N. Smith, Sep 24, 2004
  7. Timothy Daniels

    Sparky Guest

    I have Ghost 2003 and it supports cloning peer-to-peer. You have to
    specify USB/TCP/LPT. Hard to imagine you could boot one peer from another.

    Sparky, Sep 25, 2004
  8. You boot them both to DOS and then clone one from the other. In
    general you'd probably make an image file on one machine that was the
    image of the system disk on the other system, but you could probably
    clone one identical machine to another (though you'd have to fiddle
    with network name and such afterwards...)

    William P.N. Smith, Sep 25, 2004
  9. To be explicit, could the following be done? -

    Clone the HD from one laptop to another laptop
    using an Ethernet connection, remove the HD from
    the 2nd laptop and put it into the 1st laptop and boot
    it up without having to do an "image restore"? IOW,
    is the image made with Ghost through an Ethernet
    connection bootable?

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Sep 25, 2004
  10. Dunno for sure, you'd have to check with someone who has the Personal
    Edition or who has done the peer-to-peer network thing. I tried it
    once, and it was so slow I stopped it and went back to putting two
    laptop drives in my desktop machine.

    Why would you want to? I thought you wanted immediate recovery at a
    client site of a failed laptop?

    William P.N. Smith, Sep 26, 2004

  11. The copy, of course, would be done beforehand for use
    as a backup, and the elapsed time for a copy wouldn't be
    of as much concern. Current laptops have FireWire and/or
    USB2 for doing copy's. Older laptops would only have
    Ethernet. I may have to settle for 2 older laptops.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Sep 26, 2004
  12. Timothy Daniels

    Sparky Guest

    Yes, I think that's exactly what you could do. Clones of bootable
    partitions I have made have been bootable themselves. It's not
    necessary, BTW, to clone from one laptop HDD to a 2nd laptop, any
    external HDD (including over a network) works fine. If your HDD gets
    trashed, you can restore it or load a fresh HDD by booting from a Ghost
    boot disk and cloning from the good one (external HDD) to the HDD in the
    laptop. FWIW, I generally clone partition to partition (as opposed to
    disk to disk), gives more flexibility.

    To reply to William's post - I thought Tim was asking about cloning a
    HDD over an Ethernet connection, then booting from the cloned HDD on the
    other laptop *over* the Ethernet connection - 'don't see how you could
    do that. His current post makes it clear he would move the cloned HDD to
    his originating laptop, which works fine.

    Sparky, Sep 26, 2004