    seemingly forever. It does this, plugged in or not.

    Eventually, I tried the laptop w/o the battery and it works fine.

    Is this a dead battery? A dead inverter that is killing the system?

    Al Dykes, May 3, 2008

  2. Al Dykes

    BillW50 Guest

    In Al Dykes typed on 3 May 2008 08:11:48 -0400:
    Yes it does sound like a dead battery. Although here are many things
    that can cause this too. What happens if you put the battery in after it
    boots up? Does the machine shutdown or what? When it is plugged in and
    off, does the battery indicator show it is charging?

    Does this 5 year old laptop still have the original battery? And you
    don't need a battery if you always plug it into AC anyway. If you are
    worried about the AC failing, then plug it into an UPS (Uninterruptible
    Power Supply). They can be had for $30 or less.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply

    BillW50, May 3, 2008

  3. Al Dykes

    Al Dykes Guest

    I think that the power light is off when the machine is off and
    plugged in. I take this to be a failed internal charger circuit.

    I'll try hot-pluging the battery. If the PC doesn't crash, what does
    that tell me?

    Al Dykes, May 3, 2008
  4. Al Dykes

    BillW50 Guest

    In Al Dykes typed on 3 May 2008 10:19:30 -0400:
    Well the power light should be off. But virtually all laptops also have
    a charge light as well. Usually a two color LED. Red or orange steady in
    color means it is charging. But a flashing one means there is a problem.
    And a steady green or blue means that battery is fully charged. You will
    only see the charging light when there is AC applied.
    Well the laptop fails POST (power-on self test) when the battery is
    connected. Again this can mean a few things too. Laptops draw a lot of
    current when first turned on. And weak batteries draw a lot of current
    too. So the AC adapter is maxing all its power to power the laptop and
    to charge the battery at the same time. Which could be too much for it.

    The next test if you insert the battery while it is running and it stays
    running, is to remove the AC power. If the battery is faulty or the
    charging circuit is, the laptop will turn off instantly. If it keeps
    running, let it sit there and see if you can get more than 10 minutes
    running on the battery. And 10 minutes or less, the battery is too far
    gone and I wouldn't leave it in the laptop. As to will only create more
    heat which isn't good for either the battery or the laptop.

    BillW50, May 3, 2008
  5. Al Dykes

    Al Dykes Guest

    You are right, but it fails so soon that it doesn't give a beep code
    or show anything on the screen.

    Good points, all.

    Thanks.

    Al Dykes, May 3, 2008
  6. Al Dykes

    BillW50 Guest

    In Al Dykes typed on 3 May 2008 11:01:39 -0400:
    That is okay. As the laptop kills the power to itself for some reason.
    As maybe one step of the POST is to switch to battery power for a second
    if it detects a battery. And of course, if the battery can't keep the
    laptop running, you lose power and it can't beep or anything.

    BillW50, May 3, 2008
  7. Al Dykes

    Sharkbait Guest

    Without starting a new string, I too have a battery problem with an extended
    Thinkpad battery (original IBM part, FRU# 93P5030). It's only 22 months old
    and will no longer take a charge, constantly reading 2% charged, with the
    charging light blinking with the A/C adapter plugged in.

    I stuck in the original factory battery, which had not been used it a year.
    It started charging immediately and eventually up to 99%, so I believe the
    A/C adapter and charging system are fine.

    Is it normal for this type of battery to fail in less than 2 years? At over
    a $100, they are not cheap. Thanks in advance.

    rg

    Sharkbait, May 3, 2008
  8. Depends on when on how long it sat on a shelf. is it OEM or another
    manufacturer.
    A lot of variables.

    G.G.Willikers, May 3, 2008
  9. Al Dykes

    BillW50 Guest

    In Sharkbait typed on Sat, 03 May 2008 18:16:30 GMT:
    Yes this is completely normal. Leaving the battery in the laptop on AC,
    they usually last about 18 to 24 months. Although removing them and only
    charge them up once or twice a year, they can last 10 years or more. If
    you use battery power a lot, well they can last up to 500 recharges.

    What some of us do if we mostly use our laptops on AC power and worry
    about losing the AC, we buy an UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply). The
    battery in them usually can last 5 years and you can buy them for 30
    bucks or less.

    BillW50, May 3, 2008
  10. Al Dykes

    Sharkbait Guest

    I understand. I run optimized parameters and the machine profile was fairly
    new when I bought it, so I suppose the battery manufacturer (Sony possibly)
    shipped the battery to Lenovo for just in time delivery but perhaps not.
    This series of battery did come up for recall during the first six months
    but the serial number never came up as one that was defective but that
    probably doesn't account for a short lifespan if indeed this is irregular.

    So now I am looking to replace it with a third-party brand, which I think
    might yield at least 22 months for quite a discount off the list price of
    factory replacement. I wonder if Lenovo's three year warranty I purchased
    covers the battery as well? Guess I have to look at the fine print.

    rg

    Sharkbait, May 3, 2008
  11. Al Dykes

    Al Dykes Guest

    That sounds possible.

    As an update for my original post, I kept the batter out for 24 hours
    and then hot-plugged it. OK. Then I rebooted with the battery in and
    it works fine. It runs on battery, at least for the few seconds I've
    tested it.

    I have to look in the manual to see what lights I should be seeing.

    Al Dykes, May 4, 2008