Laptops connected to widescreen LCDs (Intel 82555 chipset)

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Joel Kolstad, Oct 29, 2005.

  1. Joel Kolstad

    Joel Kolstad Guest

    Hello,

    I have a Dell 2405FPW widescreen LCD that has a native resolution of
    1920x1200. I've been trying to get it to work (at the native resolution)
    with a Sony VAIO VGN-T150P laptop running Windows XP, which has an Intel
    82555GME graphics chipset. Unfortunately, while the Intel graphics driver
    is clearly aware of the LCD's 1920x1200 resolution (one can view a report of
    all the resolutions a monitor claims to support), 1600x1200 is the highest
    resolution the driver is willing to offer for operation.

    I've done some poking around the web, and what I've come to believe is that,
    while the 82555GME can easily generate a 1920x1200 display, the Intel driver
    only offers up resolutions that are specifically hardcoded into the video
    BIOS, and -- at leas ton a VGN-T150P -- 1920x1200 isn't one of them. The
    Intel driver (unlike those from nVidia and ATI) doesn't support "custom
    resolutions," so one can't use a program such as Powerstrip to generate the
    new resolution either.

    Interestingly enough, Dell's only Inspiron 700m laptop -- which uses the
    exact same chipset and the exact same Intel driver, just a different video
    BIOS -- DOES support the 1920x1200 resolution natively. Grrrr!

    So, my question is... does anyone know how to get native resolution from a
    setup such as mine? Or am I just out of luck unless I get a new laptop?

    Thanks,
    ---Joel Kolstad

    Joel Kolstad, Oct 29, 2005

  2. Joel Kolstad

    bxf Guest

    I presume your mean Intel 852/855GME, no? In any event, if you don't
    have the latest graphics driver, it may be worth a try, just in case it
    does what you need. www.intel.com, etc., and it's pretty easy to follow
    the steps.

    bxf, Oct 31, 2005