    We're not necessarily looking for the cheapest but the most cost effective
    overall solution with UK or Europe based support centres.

    Thanks. Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, Sep 12, 2005

  2. Rob Nicholson

    RCT Guest

    Hi Rob,

    I would recommend Asus, they build for Sony and Apple (and others), supply
    barebones to bulk manufacturers and design stunning award winning laptops...

    http://en.red-dot.org/1290+M5bb7312e7f1.html

    You also get with every laptop a 2yr Global warranty, optical mouse and
    carry case as standard. Reviews are good as are specs and as they share the
    same technology as Sony you are getting a well constructed machine with
    X-black equivalent LCDs and ZBD (Zero Bright Dot Pixel Guarantee) on many
    models.

    If you have any questions please let me know, for some great deals on the
    range please check this link...

    http://www.red-cloud.co.uk/catalogue.asp?action=showcategory&catid=10

    If you would like more info on any particular model please let me know.

    Thanks

    Euan.
    RCT

    W - www.red-cloud.co.uk

    RCT, Sep 12, 2005

  3. Some Thinkpads have, or did have, a 3-year warranty built-into the retail
    price, and I always found IBM's service/repair team to be excellent.

    It would be worth checking out from their website whether they still do
    3-year warranties (free) with any of their existing range.

    www.ibm.com

    Dennis. :)

    Dennis Pogson, Sep 12, 2005
  4. IBM is no more, but the two choices to consider are Lenovo (IBM) and
    Toshiba.

    The economics of extended warranties for laptops are different than for
    desktops.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 12, 2005
  5. I would recommend Asus, they build for Sony and Apple (and others), supply
    laptops...

    ASUS has been recommended elsewhere as well so I'll do some investigation.

    Thanks, Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, Sep 12, 2005
  6. Rob Nicholson

    youth Guest

    Can't really give any recommendation for other manufacturers since I've only had
    Dell laptops & have been satisfied with their service. I was just curious though
    since these laptops were for business why did your company not go with the
    Latitude line instead of the home consumer Inspiron line. Perhaps your support
    experience would've been better with their business class machines. Something to
    keep in mine with whatever notebook company you decide on.

    g'day
    youth

    youth, Sep 13, 2005
  7. Rob Nicholson

    BigJIm Guest

    the small company I work for leases all the laptops.

    BigJIm, Sep 13, 2005
  8. Rob Nicholson

    Fixer Guest

    99.99% are made by the same two companies, and are then just rebadged to
    suit

    Fixer, Sep 13, 2005
  9. Rob Nicholson

    RCT Guest

    Hi Rob,

    If looking for a competitive quote please let me know, you won't find better
    prices or service and we carry the full range too. We also have our own
    dedicated Support Site, offering high level aftersales care to ensure you
    don't have similar problems that you experienced with your DELLs.

    We can also offer leasing terms to keep payments low (plus you get some
    excellent tax benefits).

    Thanks again

    Euan.
    RCT

    W - www.red-cloud.co.uk

    RCT, Sep 13, 2005
  10. Rob Nicholson

    hans Guest

    IBM would probably be more suited to you as they are catered towards
    everyday business use whereas although the Asus are very good you would
    most likely be paying for features you don't need as Asus is more
    suited to the lifestyle/design and multimedia/gaming.

    hans, Sep 13, 2005
  11. Rob Nicholson

    RCT Guest

    Not necessarily true as a lot of our customers buy for business, they just
    wish a bit more features and style along with it.

    The Asus range will perform just as well as any IBM and shouldn't be
    discounted because they are also designed for multimedia usage too.

    HTH

    Euan.
    RCT

    W - www.red-cloud.co.uk

    RCT, Sep 13, 2005
  12. Rob Nicholson

    hans Guest

    Maybe Asus if you're buying for yourself (business and other stuff).
    But if I were to buy laptops for my employees to use, I wouldn't want
    to give them a nice stylish Asus to ruin.

    hans, Sep 13, 2005
  13. Did you not investigate before you bought the Inspiron??? The Inspiron
    Ahh Dell tried that one as well "The Inspiron is not for business use". Well
    pray tell why when you got to www.dell.co.uk and click on small business
    (which means us at < 200 employees) is the Inspiron listed...

    How do you investigate a new laptop that only goes faulty after a period of
    time? Very hard when it's just released. And Dell changes it's model line so
    often that it's very hard to find stability :)

    Cheers, Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, Sep 13, 2005
  14. Can't really give any recommendation for other manufacturers since I've
    only had
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing <grin> We've always been a little confused by
    this distinction between the Inspiron being a home laptop and the Latitude
    being more business aligned. What's that saying? The biggest difference is
    of course price with the Latitude being always sold with 3 year warranty
    AFAIK.

    The Inspiron though is listed as a choice for small business which is what
    we are at < 200 employees. It states here:

    ----cut here---
    Dell InspironTM Notebooks
    Offers the latest notebook technology at outstanding value. It's designed to
    address the requirements of notebook users at every level.
    ----cut here---

    Every level eh? I assume that means business users as well.

    But actually our gripe is not with the laptops actually failing and being
    out of warranty but the PAIN of trying to get a quote of how much to replace
    the motherboard or screen and how we go about getting that procedure
    underway via the Indian call centre.

    Cheers, Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, Sep 13, 2005
  15. the small company I work for leases all the laptops.

    That is becoming a possible option.

    Cheers, Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, Sep 13, 2005