    appliance" or not!? can anyone advise?

    thanks!!

    Gav

    gavin, Jun 20, 2006

  2. gavin

    tc Guest

    Most switched power supply products such as modern laptops use are
    non-earthed (have only 2 prongs in Canada).
    Terry

    tc, Jun 20, 2006

  3. gavin

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    Most laptop switched power supply products are
    earthed (have 3 prongs in UK). However, most others types are not.

    It all rather depends on the approval specification used for the power
    supply. Canada is known for some of the more stringent (and in some cases,
    plain stupid) requirements for electrical equipment, but variations do
    occur. Earthing a switch mode supply is a debateable matter, mainly because
    the input filter capacitors can cause the output to assume a potential of
    half the mains input voltage albeit with a high Thevanin impedance.

    Please don't top post.

    M.I.5¾, Jun 21, 2006
  4. gavin

    Roy Guest

    Well I had two laptops which I bought from Australia and brought it to
    different parts of Asia . The AC adaptor was supplied with an
    Australian/ NZ type three pronged plug ( supposedly the third one is
    for 'earthing ' but when I was roving in Asia I just used the universal
    adaptor which is usually two pronged in the business end and I never
    had a problem with my lappies.
    Therefore this three prong is a non issue with laptops in my
    experience.

    Roy, Jun 21, 2006
  5. gavin

    J. Clarke Guest

    If it's got three prongs on the cord then it's "earthed". That notation is
    generally a CYA by the manufacturer of the adapter.

    J. Clarke, Jun 22, 2006
  6. gavin

    JHEM Guest

    Only if the three prongs connect to a three prong connector on the power
    brick.

    There's plenty of power bricks around that have grounded AC plugs, but
    ungrounded 2 prong connectors on the power brick.

    JHEM, Jun 23, 2006
  7. gavin

    J. Clarke Guest

    Seems a weird way to do things.

    J. Clarke, Jun 24, 2006
  8. gavin

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    Not really. The earth pin on the plug is required in many systems to open
    the shutters that protect the live pins.

    M.I.5¾, Jun 26, 2006
  9. gavin

    gavin Guest

    hey all!! thanks for the replies very helpful :D

    gavin, Jun 27, 2006