Laptops today vs laptops yesterday

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Wolverine, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. Wolverine

    Wolverine Guest

    Its just so amazing how fast technology improves. I used to upgrade at
    least every year for laptops but I have come to the point that I have
    outgrown that terrible "illness". Last night I passed by a computer
    superstore and although I always fight the urge to even go inside one,
    I still went it and checked out what's on offer these days for
    laptops.

    Most laptops on display now are wide screen, silvery colored with some
    even red, blue, gray. These i think are the "in" color these days.
    Checked the keyboard which is the most important for me, sad to say,
    they are even worse than before. But they do have the bells and
    whistles we could only dream of yesterday. wireless everywhere, memory
    slots abound, signature on board speakers (do they actually sound
    better?) fast graphics card and even some come with remote control.

    Gone home and I am still thinking what I just saw. Then I saw my
    thinkpad t22, 600x. My laptops suddenly felt inferior. Looks wise,
    these new laptops are very flashy with their bright colors. Features
    wise, they cant be beat. Price wise, well with the price of my
    thinkpads when new, I could buy two or three of these new laptops for
    the same price.

    Well, I have the money to buy an all whistling, all rocking, new
    laptop but I ask myself why? My 600x still performs like new. Upgraded
    the memory and HDD to 7200 rpm and it still runs cool and quiet. No
    new laptop keyboard is as ergonomic and pleasant to use as the 600x.
    My T22 with its high res SXGA+ screen is still a joy to use with its
    bright sharp screen. I dont see the need to upgrade now, but these new
    toys are waking the upgrade junkie in me. The biggest problem i have
    now is I couldnt just get rid of my thinkpad to give way for new toys.
    They are just too damn nice to be set aside. Now I regret I ever went
    in that computer superstore...

    Help!

    Wolverine, Mar 6, 2004

  2. Wolverine

    Nite Rider Guest

    All I can say is that you need to have self control, if you want to do
    something with $1500 you can invest it in a low risk stock with good payout.

    Nite Rider, Mar 6, 2004

  3. You already have two of the best laptops ever made.
    Glitz is for the uninformed.

    Bruce Markowitz, Mar 6, 2004
  4. Wolverine

    CeeBee Guest

    Q: Why do we buy new computer stuff?
    A: Because we can.

    I've changed my attitude. As long as all that needs to work for me still
    works okay, I won't buy new. As soon as something fails to work because
    of hardware limitations, I buy new.

    By now that means you can do without new hardware a long, long time.
    You remember the times that hardware performance always lagged software
    specifications? Good to see that time past.

    CeeBee, Mar 6, 2004
  5. Wolverine

    Wolverine Guest

    I have to agree with you on that. Although the thinkpads of yesterday
    are somewhat boring looking today compared to the flashy current
    offerings, they are without doubt are the best laptops I have used
    that is why it is too difficult for me to just set it aside for a new
    one. The 600x especially is just as reliable when new and never did it
    saw the inside of any IBM repair center. The T22 which is currently
    heavily used by my wife is alive and kicking.

    Well, if not for my thinkpad, I may have lost my self control to
    upgrade. But if someone have a thinkpad that just keeps on working and
    working and a joy to use, then I guess, who needs these new toys.

    I guess I will just have to wait when my two laptops stops working,
    but that may still be quite a while.

    Wolverine, Mar 6, 2004
  6. Yeah, my TRS-80 Model 100 has never been equaled!

    Right.

    Jeff Williams, Mar 6, 2004
  7. Wow, I had one of those!

    B/W monitor, keyboard/CPU, load your programs via cassette.

    And, if I remember correctly, one of the first versions of Pong.

    Ah, the good old days!

    Larry

    Lawrence Glasser, Mar 6, 2004
  8. Wolverine

    leosity Guest

    My first system was a TI 99/4A...

    leosity, Mar 7, 2004
  9. Wolverine

    Jeff S Guest

    My latest notebook (Toshiba 1115) has also been my least favorite so far. It was priced incredibly low (under $500) but they cut a few too many corners to meet that price point. But it's finally gotten to where I think I've fixed most of the weak points likely to break/already broken, so now I'm kind of reluctant to replace it! I mean, how many other notebooks out there have handmade brass hinges on the PC card doors, molybdenum-lubed screen hinges (won't be making awful creaking noises anytime soon), reinforced plastics, etc! It almost feels like my own personal creation, and in a way, I guess it is. Maybe 5 years from now, mine will be the only one of it's kind in perfect working order, and that'll make it something very special ;-)

    I think most ThinkPads look pretty good, particularly if they've got at least an 800x600 TFT screen and USB in 'em. Black never really goes out of style.

    Fancy onboard video: I don't play arcade games on my notebook very much anymore, and gaming is really the main reason for wanting fast video.

    Brand-name speakers: What a joke; whether branded as JBL, Polk or whatever, they all sound like tinny little notebook speakers to me, and they're sure not going to fill a room with great sound.

    Edgy new styling: Tomorrow's equivalent of polyester silky shirts. Clear plastic and bondi blue looked old pretty quickly didn't they.

    Remote control: Remember that notebook audio is meant for nearfield listening, not across-the-room listening.

    TV tuner: Saw it, could barely seem to receive anything off the air, and once you start talking cable hookups, what's the point.

    DVD playback: Neat, but in 16 months, I've only watched one entire movie on the computer. I have discovered that I do not like LCD screens for movies when I have a 27" tube-type digital TV nearby. Went traveling with the computer but ended up getting more mileage from a paperback book than my mobile cinema.

    Xbrite screen: That was kind of nice.

    WiFi: I like it. I have it as a PC card, so the antenna sticks out the side of my computer and microwaves my right thigh. It might be better if aimed away from my body. Integrated wifi with a built-in antenna might be kinder in that regard. Or not.

    (and speaking strictly for myself) Apple Powerbooks: I am not overly fond of today's Apple computer, but I do some work supporting Mac offices, and suppose they'd be happier if I periodically showed up with a piece of semi-modern Apple hardware of my own.

    On 5 Mar 2004 21:36:56 -0800

    Jeff S, Mar 7, 2004