Large drives on 503+ & 2013

Discussion in 'FIC' started by Den, Nov 13, 2003.

  1. Den

    Den Guest

    My local dealer has these drives in current stock.
    Maxtor 7,200 ATA133
    40, 80 and 120Gig
    Maxtor SATA 7,200rpm (8Mb cache)
    80 and 120Gig
    Seagate SATA 7,200rpm (8Mb cache)
    80 and 120Gig
    I note that Maxtor does not appear to support Linux where Seagate
    do if only a limited support.

    I already have a Maxtor 6Y080L0 80Gig ATA133 on the 503+ which
    works fine under W98SE but not on Linux, (1) and wondered if there was
    a way of getting round this, as the HD is not supported by Linux.
    (1)
    I did try on one of four 20Gig partions and installing Linux on it but it was
    giving false information, so ended up installing it on the original 20Gig drive
    using a 10Gig partition.

    The PA-2013 is the next to be upgraded as it is only has a 6.4 HD and would
    an additional PCI HD controller card improve its userbility/performance of the
    new HD and Linux use, if cost not high I would consider one for the 503+ also.
    PS
    On the 80Gig HD I used on the 503+ I used the original 40pin cable that came with
    the MB, and would using a 80pin HD cable be any advantage on a controller card ?.

    Den

    Den, Nov 13, 2003

  2. Den

    Robert Akins Guest

    I would recommend using a PCI IDE controller card on any motherboard which
    does not support the ATA specification of the hard drive that you want to
    use. The only question would be whether Linux supports the card. Yes, if
    you are using an ATA66 or faster hard drive it is necessary to use the
    80-conductor cable with the appropriate PCI controller card.
    Robert

    Robert Akins, Nov 14, 2003

  3. Den

    Den Guest

    Thanks Robert, does the PCI controller card replace or supplement the
    existing MB HD connections in regard to the existing CR-ROM and
    the CD-RW drive.

    Meanwhile time to decide what existing PCI card can be removed or better
    still replaced by an ISA card, as a last resort I always have the ISA SB
    soundcard with built in CD-ROM controller and (as corrected by Kyle) a
    two speed CD-rom.

    Den

    Den, Nov 16, 2003
  4. Den

    Robert Akins Guest

    It is entirely up to you, whether you want to continue using the onboard IDE
    controller for CD-RWs, CD-ROMs, tape drives, etc. There is no problem with
    continuing to use it with your boot drive on the add-on PCI controller. You
    can disable it if you want to quit using it entirely.
    Robert

    Robert Akins, Nov 16, 2003