    From what I read they never made drivers to support 98!
    I do believe I found a solution - what do you mean not bringing myself any
    closer to the solution? Now as for the credibility issue I will not even
    comment. Why do people have to turn this outsourcing problem into a racism
    problem?
    This is my last reply on this thread - I think BOTH of us are taking time
    away from the generosity of this newsgroup.
    Jane
    From: "Christopher Muto" <>
    Subject: Re: 50 min and counting (troll)
    Date: Sunday, November 02, 2003 2:01 PM

    sounds unfortunate, but once again instead of presenting a question to this
    helpful and generous group, you wasted and opportunity and expended more
    energy on not bringing yourself any closer to a solution. this is the
    credibility thing that i was referring to in my post under "just ordered
    inspiron 8500 - having regrets".

    Was Curious, Nov 2, 2003

  2. i assume that you are asking about the dell j740 printer and windows 98. if
    that is the case then you are correct that dell only provides a driver for
    it to work with windows 2000 and windows xp. however, since this printer is
    based on a lexmark engine, it may well work with lexmark printer drivers.
    there is no exact lexmark model equivalent tot he dell j740 but i suggest
    that you try the following (note that i say *try* as i have not done this
    myself with this particular model)... i suggest that you download and
    install the lexmark z11 windows 98 printer driver on the windows 98 machine.
    when you install it say that it is directly connected to your computer
    (local, not network) even though it is not. after it is installed then go
    into the printer properties and change the port to the network location of
    the printer (found on the new machines, again guessing since you did not
    say). this is found under, start-settings-printers-lexmarkz11(right
    click)-properties-ports(tab)-addport. finnally, try to print and see what
    comes out... you can get the driver from the link below (if not truncated by
    your email reader) or just go to lexmark.com and navigate to the driver page
    for the z11 printer.
    http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-pe...downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi&
    i suspect that dells reason for not supporting windows 98 with this printer
    is simple, they don't sell computers with 98 and it likely means a minimal
    loss of sales and a huge avoidance expense of support costs that would
    likely result from trying to install on an old operating system that was
    known to have problematic usb support (this is a usb only printer). but the
    driver will likely work with it, just not something they are willing to
    support. if you give it a try report back your results.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 2, 2003

  3. Was Curious

    Was Curious Guest

    Thank you Christopher - we are going out for an early dinner but I will try
    it this evening. It would be nice to use one printer for both computers and
    would be a great space saver. I will let you know and I appreciate the
    help.
    Sincerely,
    Jane

    Was Curious, Nov 2, 2003
  4. Was Curious

    Joan Guest

    Jane, don't give up on the newsgroup. If you have a problem, try here
    first, there are still some very knowledgeable guys here. You don't hear
    from them unless you have a problem they have knowledge of.

    Joan

    Joan, Nov 2, 2003
  5. Was Curious

    Irene Guest

    Why do people have to turn this outsourcing problem into a >racism
    problem?

    Because they are unable or unwilling to admit that Dell's support has
    problems.

    Irene, Nov 2, 2003
  6. Was Curious

    Tom Swift Guest

    Nah - Some people just like to rant.

    Tom Swift

    Tom Swift, Nov 3, 2003
  7. Was Curious

    Mickie Guest

    Well Chris - it was a good suggestion but it didn't work because everything
    was going fine and then it told me to insert disk. It was missing 3 files
    without the disk. I will live with what I have or set up my old printer to
    both computers and use the new one as an extra.
    Thanks again,
    Jane

    Mickie, Nov 3, 2003
  8. is this the same jane as first posted? it is very difficult to follow the
    trial when you use different names (3 so far) and incomplete descriptions of
    the issue... when you say "it" was missing three files what do you mean?
    sounds more like a windows problem then a printer driver problem. if you
    were able to get this printer to work with win98 then it would be helpful to
    others... but then again, you can save yourself the trouble if you just
    returned this new printer to dell and purchase a new printer that meets your
    needs of working in win98 and xp and can be shared on a network.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 3, 2003
  9. Was Curious

    Was Curious Guest

    Chris
    Yes, it's the same Jane - I haven't used 3 names I used 2 names, myself and
    my husband George or G wrote in. In error, not meant to confuse people I
    switched identities or I used the other computer and it was a different
    identity..whatever.

    The win98 setup of the printer told me to insert disk because the setup was
    missing 3 files. The printer was a freebie from Dell but like I mentioned
    before, if it doesn't work it's not the end of the world.
    I don't know if you are intentionally trying to stress me out with your
    sarcasm or if it's just your writing style that doesn't agree with me. I
    apologized, I thanked you, I appreciated your suggestions and I told you so,
    and now I would just prefer you ignored by posts. I had already mentioned I
    was a novice and I think someone as experienced as you should have been able
    to figure out who I was and what I meant by "it" in my post.

    Have a good life
    Jane, George, G, Curious Me, Was Curious et al

    Was Curious, Nov 3, 2003
  10. just trying to help. don't mean to cause stress. i am just direct and
    matter of fact. i find the editorials that many people post here as both
    useless and a distraction to solving the problem at hand. obvioulsy people
    need to vent even if it dosen't help them or anyone else.

    as for the last post it was unclear if you meant "it" to be the printer
    driver installer or a windows pop up that was asking you for additional
    files. i would guess that it asked your to insert the 'original windows cd'
    to complete the installation of the driver. the driver you downloaded
    should have been complete. if you are installing this printer driver on a
    dell that came pre-loaded with windows then a copy of the original windows
    cd should be on the system's hard drive. if the system was reloaded with
    windows then a copy of the original cd may not be on the system's hard
    drive. when factory installed it is located in the \windows\options\cabs
    folder. try the install again and when asked for the additional files
    either insert the original windows 98 cd or click on the 'browse' and
    redirect it to look in the \windows\options\cabs folder.

    do what you want with this information. certainly these sorts of things can
    be more effort than they are worth. but don't think for a minute that being
    a novice means you can't get something done... it just may take a little
    longer is all... and it may take better instruction that i can provide to
    get it done but i am not the only one here... and the worst thing that can
    happen is that you may learn more about your computer.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 3, 2003
  11. Was Curious

    Was Curious Guest

    Ok Christopher, by nature I am not one to hold a grudge and I do appreciate
    the help when it is meant sincerely as this post is. I tried again, I now
    have it open and it doesn't seem to be the windows cd it wants - here is the
    exact wording when I try to set it up.
    Insert Disk - The disk labeled "Lexmark Z11 Series Driver Disk 3" is now
    required. This disk is provided by your computer manufacturer. Click OK to
    continue.
    Thank you,
    Jane

    Was Curious, Nov 3, 2003
  12. Was Curious

    PC Gladiator Guest

    PC Gladiator, Nov 3, 2003
  13. Was Curious

    Was Curious Guest

    Yes PC...that's the one I downloaded - maybe it was assuming I actually have
    the printer and disk and this just upgrades the drivers? No idea, but thank
    you and a big thanks for the info on sharing files - works like a
    charm!!!!!!
    Just finished with it and experimenting:)
    Jane

    Was Curious, Nov 3, 2003
  14. if you don't change the pre selected default options cj3911.exe unzips
    itself to the folder c:\lxkz11 and then runs c:\lxkz11\setup.exe. perhaps
    you redirected it to use another folder and this is why it is unable to find
    the location of 'disk 3' or perhaps it is just a badly written install
    program that used to be on multiple floppies but is not in a single
    downloadable file. if there is an option to redirect the place it looks for
    the file just point it to the c:\lxkz11 folder (or what ever location you
    may have directed it to unzip). if it dosen't offer an option to browse for
    the location of 'disk 3' then i am at a loss... i can try installing it on a
    win98 machine tomarrow and give you my feedback about the install process
    but don't have a j740 to test with.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 3, 2003
  15. Was Curious

    Was Curious Guest

    Thank you Christopher, I will delete what I have installed and re-install it
    after dinner. If I am in the middle and have questions I will start a new
    thread. As I mentioned - I don't have all that much experience so I may
    have saved it incorrectly. Appreciate the help.
    Jane

    Was Curious, Nov 3, 2003
  16. Was Curious

    Joan Guest

    Jane, have you tried to see if there are WK2 drivers for the printer?
    Windows 2000 drivers worked for my Sony digital camera, it may work if
    they have drivers for your printer. Won't hurt to check.

    Joan

    <snip>

    Joan, Nov 3, 2003