    Jean-Pierre Kuypers for both hosting Thoth and the long hours he spent
    providing French localization for Thoth."

    Sounds to me as if Brian has stopped working on the software.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 9, 2013

  2. Michelle Steiner

    Lewis Guest

    Again?

    Lewis, Dec 9, 2013

  3. Michelle Steiner

    Lloyd Guest

    Hopefully not. I've emailed Brian and directly asked him. No response
    as of yet.

    Lloyd, Dec 9, 2013
  4. Good news. You made my day!

    Laszlo Lebrun, Dec 9, 2013
  5. Michelle Steiner

    gtr Guest

    That's curious. Particularly since he's apparently spent so much time
    on it during the Mavericks transition. I got the impression that he
    was back supporting it, and that part of the rationale is that other
    newsreaders seem to be falling by the wayside over the past couple of
    years.

    gtr, Dec 9, 2013
  6. When I kept having to bug him to get updates, I asked why he couldn't
    add me to his mailing list. Apparently the software he uses doesn't
    support adding without invitation. Since he didn't differentiate between
    marketing and updates, I didn't subscribe and had to bug him. I got
    tired of it and asked for a refund rather than having to deal with him.
    He seems to think he's offering "excellent customer service" but I think
    he's just off his meds.

    Again, he's making writing software and supporting it personal. And now
    he's taking his ball and going home. Sooner or later, he'll have people
    just ignoring him for doing this sort of thing once to often.

    Michael Vilain, Dec 9, 2013
  7. Well, Brian did a very good job in supporting his software. I had
    several times the need to change a little thing and he did that
    immediately and even provided personal test versions with that changes
    before it became part of the official one.
    Thoth is one of these programs that survived all changes and progress,
    that apple made in the past. I use it since --- I do not remember the
    beginning....

    Thank you for your great support, Brian. I will miss Thoth, if it will
    end service one day (this may be way ahead...)

    Guenther Fischer, Dec 9, 2013
  8. Michelle Steiner

    Invid Fan Guest

    He had said he was done before the last spat of updates, so they were a
    complete surprise. I've used it since it was YA-Newswatcher, and will
    keep using it until it dies. I try out new readers when I see them, but
    none have been as good. If he is stopping for good, there's now at
    least a small market for a good replacement.

    Invid Fan, Dec 9, 2013
  9. Michelle Steiner

    J.P. Kuypers Guest

    Idem for me.

    J.P. Kuypers, Dec 9, 2013
  10. Michelle Steiner

    J.P. Kuypers Guest

    That's weird.

    I'm on his list to receive the "Thoth Announcements" of new versions
    and updates, and was always well informed (I think).

    J.P. Kuypers, Dec 9, 2013
  11. I got a reply from Brian. I won't post the email he sent as he didn't
    indicate it was for publication.

    It appears that Thoth will not continue. Basically not enough
    purchasers to make it even pay for itself, which includes the domain
    and hosting fees.

    I always had good service and support from Brian. When I emailed with
    issues, he fixed them and provided some test versions along the way to
    what you see now. I'll be sorry to see it go away which is what will
    happen with no further support.

    It is basically a dollars and sense decision on his part, and while I
    wish it was different, I fully understand the issue.

    I will make some suggestions to him about how he might find enough
    success, but in the end I doubt it will make a difference. :(

    Lloyd E Parsons, Dec 9, 2013
  12. Michelle Steiner

    Guest Guest

    if he made a version for the mac app store, he'd sell a lot. part of
    the problem is nobody knows about it.

    the alternative is unison which is horrible. absolutely horrible.

    Guest, Dec 9, 2013
  13. I suggested to him the Mac App Store might be a good way. But if he's
    avoided it this long, he'll probably still avoid it.

    And I don't agree about Unison. It ain't great, but it gets the job done.

    Lloyd E Parsons, Dec 9, 2013
  14. Told Brian the same. He had good arguments against that idea. Mainly
    the work that has to be done to make it accepted by apple.
    He is an old fashioned programmer :)
    I worked for a while with Unison. It works fine. But Thoth is better
    for my purpose. And I am used to that old Newswatcher style. I like
    it.... I am an old fashioned user :)

    Guenther Fischer, Dec 9, 2013
  15. I've been using Unison though I bought and paid for both it and Thoth.
    I'm strictly a text-only usenet user so either work just fine.

    Lloyd E Parsons, Dec 9, 2013
  16. Michelle Steiner

    gtr Guest

    Same happened with me.

    gtr, Dec 9, 2013
  17. Michelle Steiner

    gtr Guest

    That may be so. But here's my projection of what will happen. The
    next time an OS produces misery for Thoth, Brian will be *unable* to
    avoid looking into it and seeing it it can be readily corrected. And
    if it's small, he'll fix it.

    And if it's large he'll be intrigued and just put in a little time on
    it, then get challenged by it, and wind up fixing it too.

    Just my guess.

    gtr, Dec 9, 2013
  18. As callous as it sounds, isn't this how the free market works? How many
    great products just died because people didn't know about them? Claris
    made all these great products that were perfect in their price points
    only to have the company vanish and the products killed off. Except for
    Filemaker, which actually became something.

    It's not like Thoth is overpriced, like Unison. Guess it's just
    economics.

    Michael Vilain, Dec 9, 2013
  19. Michelle Steiner

    gtr Guest

    I like it and use it as my primary newsreader. But Thoth is vastly more
    capable.

    gtr, Dec 9, 2013
  20. ?? Unison is less than $5 more than Thoth.

    Lloyd E Parsons, Dec 9, 2013