  1. Michelle Steiner

    Guest Guest

    if unison was free, it would still be overpriced.

    Guest, Dec 9, 2013

  2. Bullshit.

    Lloyd E Parsons, Dec 9, 2013

  3. Probably a complete redesign to make it finally unicode compliant.
    Since it is basically a rip-off of MTNW, that would probably exceed his
    skills.
    We know.

    Laszlo Lebrun, Dec 10, 2013
  4. ....capable of jeopardizing more unicode you mean?

    Laszlo Lebrun, Dec 10, 2013
  5. Michelle Steiner

    David Ritz Guest

    David Ritz, Dec 10, 2013
  6. It wasn't that people didn't know about Claris products; it's that
    FileMaker Pro produced such an abnormal percentage of Claris' income
    and profits that it was financially in the best interest of Claris and
    Apple to kill off everything but FileMaker and ClarisWorks. They were a
    strange pair of products to be produced by the same company, so Apple
    brought ClarisWorks into itself and renamed it AppleWorks.

    Oh, and the company didn't vanish; it merely changed its name.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 10, 2013
  7. Michelle Steiner

    Don Bruder Guest

    Again? That trick never works...

    Don Bruder, Dec 10, 2013
  8. Again? That trick never works...[/QUOTE]

    Are you saying that Brian is actually Bullwinkle J. Moose?

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 10, 2013
  9. Michelle Steiner

    Don Bruder Guest

    Are you saying that Brian is actually Bullwinkle J. Moose?[/QUOTE]

    Are you saying I sound squirrely?

    Don Bruder, Dec 10, 2013
  10. Michelle Steiner

    Lewis Guest

    What skills?

    Lewis, Dec 10, 2013
  11. Michelle Steiner

    M-M Guest

    I find it so odd that there were so few who bought Thoth after
    Mavericks killed MT-NW. I was so happy to find Thoth and jumped right
    on board.

    Brian has been exceptional in providing support and fixes.

    I guess there aren't many usenet users anymore.

    M-M, Dec 10, 2013
  12. Michelle Steiner

    M-M Guest

    Also here. Thank you Brian.

    M-M, Dec 10, 2013
  13. Michelle Steiner

    A N Niel Guest

    This is the real problem. Mostly just us old-timers from before HTTP
    days.

    A N Niel, Dec 10, 2013
  14. Michelle Steiner

    Guest Guest

    so few bother with usenet.
    definitely not.

    Guest, Dec 10, 2013
  15. Michelle Steiner

    Doc O'Leary Guest

    I don't. Usenet readership is nothing compared to social networks.
    And I paid for Thoth long ago (2001). After I sent in some feedback,
    Brian threw a fit and just issued me a refund with me even
    asking/wanting one.
    If he's not moody anymore, I don't see anything exceptional about his
    approach to software development. Right now, it looks like he gave
    Thoth one last shot at being successful, but MT-NW dying isn't enough
    when the market isn't there for alternatives.
    Not ones that will pay for client software, anyway. And it doesn't help
    that ISPs no longer consider it a core service (hell, my current ISP
    doesn't even offer an email account, never mind web or usenet servers).

    Doc O'Leary, Dec 10, 2013
  16. Michelle Steiner

    gtr Guest

    I think he just meant to say "I don't like Unison". That's fair. I
    don't like chocolate.

    gtr, Dec 10, 2013
  17. Michelle Steiner

    gtr Guest

    It's an every diminishing pool.

    gtr, Dec 10, 2013
  18. Not even many of us for that matter. A number of years ago when the
    ISPs were doing usenet, our local one went down. I was out of town
    when it happened and the way the usenet server worked then was I had to
    be on my ISP to actually use it. I called when I came home to find it
    down. Tech told me it had been down 3 days and I was only the 2nd one
    to notice.

    With usenet dieing a slow death, it is damned hard for someone to make
    any money writing an app to access it. And that's what Brian is
    fighting. A losing battle, imo. :(

    Lloyd E Parsons, Dec 10, 2013
  19. Michelle Steiner

    M-M Guest

    Not ones that will pay for client software, anyway. And it doesn't help
    that ISPs no longer consider it a core service[/QUOTE]

    I think it is related to the major ISP's eliminating the alt.binaries.*
    groups.

    M-M, Dec 11, 2013
  20. Michelle Steiner

    Lewis Guest