Latest nvidia drivers - no need to uninstall previous drivers?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by BillL, Jun 19, 2005.

  1. BillL

    BillL Guest

    Hi all,

    Evert time I update my GPU drivers I use to uninstall the previous drivers
    and use Driver Cleaner Pro. That was until 77.30 and now 77.50 where I've
    just installed over the top of the previous drivers. This, as far as I'm
    concerned is great, its quicker and I don't have to re-set my desktop
    resolution, font size etc once the drivers are installed.

    Everything seems to be fine - no problems with the BF2 or FEAR MP demo so no
    problems there.

    I will still uninstall the drivers if I'm changing graphics cards (just
    swapped out a Leadtek 6600GT for a PNY 6800GT) but have nvidia *changed*
    their driver package to make uninstalling the previous drivers unnecessary
    or is it just anally retentive to do this anyway?

    BillL

    BillL, Jun 19, 2005

  2. BillL

    dawg Guest

    Most times it's fine to just install over the old drivers. I do it most
    times.

    dawg, Jun 19, 2005

  3. BillL

    Ed Light Guest

    Ed Light, Jun 19, 2005

  4. Doing this doesn't affect everything, but usally you will find
    some programs not running properly, or not running at all. Doing an
    uninstall using Driver Cleaner PE, or another driver remover, and
    reinstalling the drivers will fix the problems. If it works for
    you....

    Larry Roberts, Jun 19, 2005
  5. BillL

    joelspencer Guest

    Well BF2 made me update my drivers without giving any warning as to
    uninstalling the previous version so I thought heck why not, and
    haven't seen any problems either. I think as drivers improve there's
    no real need to delete your existing ones entirely :)

    www.computing-elite.com
    www.computing-elite.com/forum

    joelspencer, Jun 20, 2005
  6. BillL

    Ed Light Guest

    There's a link from the nvidia drivers download that says to uninstall the
    old drivers in Add and Remove programs before installing the new ones.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Jun 20, 2005
  7. BillL

    BillL Guest

    But why do this if you've just installed the new drivers over the old ones
    and experienced no problems *and* been able to keep your original
    resolution, font size, colour depth etc? The only thing I've had to do
    (which I should have mentioned in my OP) is to run the coolbits registry
    tweak again to enable overclocking.

    Oh well each to their own I guess, hardly the kind of things wars are fought
    over ;o).

    BillL, Jun 21, 2005
  8. BillL

    Ed Light Guest

    Sometimes luck is with us.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Jun 21, 2005
  9. BillL

    Tony Guest

    This might interest some, dnloaded the approved 77.50 that have just came
    out..

    Uninstalled current Driver also used Driver Cleaner Pro 1.2.

    Rebooted computer installed 77.50 all went OK rebooted, look at the Nvidia
    Tab, Not there.

    Reinstalled again and all was OK..

    Tony, Jun 22, 2005