Latest OS X

Discussion in 'Apple' started by David Downing, Jan 15, 2014.

  1. Is snow Leopard the latest version of OS X?

    David Downing, Jan 15, 2014

  2. David Downing

    nospam Guest

    In article <>,
    David Downing <> wrote:

    > Is snow Leopard the latest version of OS X?

    no.

    snow leopard, or 10.6, is a few years old.

    the latest version of os x is mavericks, or 10.9. mavericks is also a
    free upgrade and will run on most intel macs.

    nospam, Jan 15, 2014

  3. David Downing

    Tom Joad Guest

    On 2014-01-15 19:36:14 +0000, nospam said:

    > In article <>,
    > David Downing <> wrote:
    >
    >> Is snow Leopard the latest version of OS X?

    > no.
    >
    > snow leopard, or 10.6, is a few years old.
    >
    > the latest version of os x is mavericks, or 10.9. mavericks is also a
    > free upgrade and will run on most intel macs.

    In fact the latest stable version is OS 10.9.1.

    --
    Tom Joad

    "It don't take no nerve to do somepin when there ain't nothin' else you can do"
    John Steinbeck, The grapes of wrath

    Tom Joad, Jan 15, 2014
  4. David Downing

    nospam Guest

    In article <52d6e5fd$0$2914$4all.nl>, Tom Joad
    <> wrote:

    > >> Is snow Leopard the latest version of OS X?

    > > no.
    > >
    > > snow leopard, or 10.6, is a few years old.
    > >
    > > the latest version of os x is mavericks, or 10.9. mavericks is also a
    > > free upgrade and will run on most intel macs.

    > In fact the latest stable version is OS 10.9.1.

    that depends what you call stable.

    mavericks still needs some work.

    nospam, Jan 15, 2014
  5. David Downing

    Philo D Guest

    In article <150120141436149286%>, nospam
    <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > David Downing <> wrote:
    >
    > > Is snow Leopard the latest version of OS X?

    > no.
    >
    > snow leopard, or 10.6, is a few years old.
    >
    > the latest version of os x is mavericks, or 10.9. mavericks is also a
    > free upgrade and will run on most intel macs.

    Snow Leopard may be the latest version of OS X that will run on certain
    very old Macs. For example, my old Mac Pro 1,1 had this "feature".

    Philo D, Jan 15, 2014
  6. David Downing

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>,
    David Downing <> wrote:

    > Is snow Leopard the latest version of OS X?

    No, that's three versions old. Since then there has been Lion, Mountain
    Lion, and Mavericks.

    Your Name, Jan 15, 2014
  7. David Downing

    Your Name Guest

    In article <150120141252348060%>, Philo D
    <> wrote:
    > In article <150120141436149286%>, nospam
    > <> wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > David Downing <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Is snow Leopard the latest version of OS X?

    > > no.
    > >
    > > snow leopard, or 10.6, is a few years old.
    > >
    > > the latest version of os x is mavericks, or 10.9. mavericks is also a
    > > free upgrade and will run on most intel macs.

    > Snow Leopard may be the latest version of OS X that will run on certain
    > very old Macs. For example, my old Mac Pro 1,1 had this "feature".

    Depending on where you're looking, Snow Leopard may also be the latest
    version you can buy on physical media or in anormal shop, thanks to
    Apple's rather silly decision to move to *only* downloads. :-(

    Your Name, Jan 15, 2014
  8. David Downing

    Ted Lee Guest

    On 1/15/14, 1:57 PM, Your Name wrote:
    > Depending on where you're looking, Snow Leopard may also be the latest
    > version you can buy on physical media or in anormal shop, thanks to
    > Apple's rather silly decision to move to*only* downloads.:-(

    Isn't it also the case that Snow Leopard is the last one that contained
    Rosetta, i.e., would run PPC code on Intel machines?

    --
    Ted

    Ted Lee, Jan 15, 2014
  9. David Downing

    nospam Guest

    In article <160120140857112811%>, Your Name
    <> wrote:

    > Depending on where you're looking, Snow Leopard may also be the latest
    > version you can buy on physical media or in anormal shop, thanks to
    > Apple's rather silly decision to move to *only* downloads. :-(

    nothing silly about it. electronic distribution has many advantages.

    they did offer lion on a usb stick but almost nobody bought it.

    nospam, Jan 15, 2014
  10. David Downing

    nospam Guest

    In article <lb6q3k$32u$>, Ted Lee <>
    wrote:

    > Isn't it also the case that Snow Leopard is the last one that contained
    > Rosetta, i.e., would run PPC code on Intel machines?

    that is the case.

    nospam, Jan 15, 2014
  11. On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:30:49 PM UTC-5, David Downing wrote:
    > Is snow Leopard the latest version of OS X?

    I can't seem to find mavericks for sale on Amazon. Would I have to buy Snow Leopard and upgrade from there via the internet?

    David Downing, Jan 15, 2014
  12. David Downing

    nospam Guest

    In article <>,
    David Downing <> wrote:

    > I can't seem to find mavericks for sale on Amazon. Would I have to buy Snow
    > Leopard and upgrade from there via the internet?

    mavericks is free, so you wouldn't find it there anyway.

    mavericks (and mountain lion that preceded it) is only available via
    the app store.

    lion was available both on the app store and on a usb stick (for a lot
    more money), but very few people bought the usb stick version, so apple
    didn't bother offering a usb stick version beyond lion. it was much
    easier and cheaper to just download it.

    you need snow leopard 10.6.6 or later to get the app store.

    if you have any version of snow leopard, you can upgrade to 10.6.8 for
    free, then get mavericks for free. if you are running an earlier
    version of os x, then you will need to get snow leopard to be able to
    get to the app store to download it.

    be sure that your computer can run it. mavericks requires an intel core
    2 duo or later and 64 bit efi. older intel core duo (and solo) along
    with powerpc are not supported.

    what mac do you have and what version of os x is it running?

    nospam, Jan 15, 2014
  13. In article <>,
    David Downing <> wrote:

    > On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:30:49 PM UTC-5, David Downing wrote:
    > > Is snow Leopard the latest version of OS X?

    > I can't seem to find mavericks for sale on Amazon. Would I have to buy Snow
    > Leopard and upgrade from there via the internet?

    David-

    Based on your line of questioning, your computer may not be capable of
    working with Mavericks. According to Apple's website,

    Mac models compatible with Mavericks:
    € iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
    € MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
    € MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
    € MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
    € Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
    € Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
    € Xserve (Early 2009)

    If yours is on this list and is currently running Leopard, then yes you
    would have to buy Snow Leopard and then upgrade via the internet.

    If your computer is not on the list, you may still benefit from
    upgrading to the highest version your computer can use. If you need to
    sync an iPhone or other i-Device with iTunes, you would need at least
    Snow Leopard upgraded to 10.6.8. But be sure your computer can work
    with Snow Leopard before you spend the money!

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Jan 15, 2014
  14. On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:30:49 PM UTC-5, David Downing wrote:
    > Is snow Leopard the latest version of OS X?

    looks like I'm running 10.6.8. Does that mean I can get mavericks for free?

    David Downing, Jan 15, 2014
  15. David Downing

    J Burns Guest

    On 1/15/14, 6:16 PM, David Downing wrote:
    > On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:30:49 PM UTC-5, David Downing wrote:
    >> Is snow Leopard the latest version of OS X?

    > looks like I'm running 10.6.8. Does that mean I can get mavericks for free?

    http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/

    I don't know if your machine is on the list. I backed up first in case
    my internal disk got messed up. The download was 5GB, and the process
    took an hour after that.

    J Burns, Jan 15, 2014
  16. David Downing

    Earl Grey Guest

    On 1/15/14, 2:30 PM, David Downing wrote:
    > Is snow Leopard the latest version of OS X?

    Nice troll dude-- you sure sucked them in ;-)

    --
    The lion may be king of the jungle but airdrop him into Antarctica and
    he's just a penguin's bitch.

    Earl Grey, Jan 15, 2014
  17. David Downing

    nospam Guest

    In article <>,
    David Downing <> wrote:

    > looks like I'm running 10.6.8. Does that mean I can get mavericks for free?

    yes.

    launch the app store and download it.

    however, you should be sure your computer can run it first.

    nospam, Jan 15, 2014
  18. David Downing

    David Empson Guest

    David Downing <> wrote:

    > On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:30:49 PM UTC-5, David Downing wrote:
    > > Is snow Leopard the latest version of OS X?

    > looks like I'm running 10.6.8. Does that mean I can get mavericks for free?

    Yes, as long as your Mac is compatible.

    http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/

    Note in particular the list of compatible models (all models introduced
    in March 2009 or later, some models as far back as mid 2007, but none of
    the 2006 models), the minimum memory requirement, and the minimum free
    disk space.

    If you aren't sure exactly which model you have, you can use System
    Profiler (see below) to find the "Model Identifier" on the initial
    Overview screen it displays, which indicates the family and specific
    generation of your Mac, in a string along the lines of "MacBookPro3,1".
    Given that, you can ask here or do a web search to find which model that
    is (that particuar example is a mid 2007 MacBook Pro).

    As far as memory is concerned, you must have at least 2 GB, and I'd
    recommend at least 4 GB for better performance. If you need more memory,
    there are various sources for buying it, and installing it is relatively
    easy in most Mac models. (It would be helpful if you at least mentioned
    which Mac model you have.) The maximum memory which can be installed
    varies between models, and is generally higher in more recent models
    than earlier ones.

    Also check whether you are still running any PowerPC-only applications
    that won't work on OS X 10.7 or later. Common ones are Microsoft Office
    2004 or earlier (2008 or later is OK), Adobe CS2 or earlier (CS3 or
    later is OK), AppleWorks, Eudora.

    If so, you will need to replace them with a different application,
    upgrade to a later version (if the application hasn't been
    discontinued), stop using them, or find a way to allow ongoing use (such
    as running Snow Leopard Server in a virtual machine, or setting up a
    dual-boot system where you can occasionally boot into Snow Leopard to
    run older software).

    You can get a list of installed applications and their kind via System
    Profiler, which you can run via Apple menu > About This Mac > More Info.
    Click on the Applications category in the left column, wait for the list
    to populate, then look down the "Kind" column, or click on that column
    heading to sort by kind.

    These are the main kinds of applications:

    Classic: already won't work on Snow Leopard (required Mac OS 9 or
    earlier, or the Classic environment in Mac OS X 10.0 through 10.4 on a
    PowerPC Mac).

    PowerPC: won't run on OS X 10.7 or later.

    Intel or Universal: able to run on OS X 10.7 or later but individual
    applications might need free updates or paid upgrades to fix
    compatibility issues.

    Assuming you are satifisfied that your Mac will be able to run Mavericks
    and you won't have to worry about application compatibility...

    I recommend doing a full system backup to an external hard drive before
    upgrading to a new OS X version, in case something goes wrong and you
    need to revert back to the old system.

    You can get Mavericks it by running App Store (in your Applications
    folder if it isn't on your Dock), signing in with your Apple ID
    (creating a new one first if necessary), then locate OS X Mavericks (it
    should be on the front page) and click the FREE button to download it.
    It is about 5.3 GB to download. The installer runs automatically once
    downloaded.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Jan 16, 2014
  19. David Downing

    gtr Guest

    On 2014-01-15 19:51:31 +0000, nospam said:

    >>> no.
    >>>
    >>> snow leopard, or 10.6, is a few years old.
    >>>
    >>> the latest version of os x is mavericks, or 10.9. mavericks is also a
    >>> free upgrade and will run on most intel macs.

    >> In fact the latest stable version is OS 10.9.1.

    > that depends what you call stable.
    >
    > mavericks still needs some work.

    Where's the short list?

    gtr, Jan 16, 2014
  20. David Downing

    John Albert Guest

    On 1/15/14 4:30 PM, nospam wrote:
    > mavericks (and mountain lion that preceded it) is only available via
    > the app store.

    That's not so.

    Mavericks is also available from "other sources" as well.
    That's where I obtained it from, because I don't have an app
    store account.
    Since there's no revenue to Apple involved, I have no qualms
    about that.

    If you want to obtain it, I suggest you pair the words
    "Mavericks" and "torrent", and see what comes up...

    The flame suit is on.

    John Albert, Jan 16, 2014